Author Topic: Staples Phones  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Icehawk78

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-0
Staples Phones
« on: May 02, 2006, 10:42:38 PM »
I noticed on the store phone information page that there is no information on the Staples Phones other than a picture.

Luckily for you, after stumbling upon this website, I can add content! Don't you just wish all new people were like that?

For Staples, there are actually two phone models in the system, the older ones (shown on the page) and the newer ones (not shown, and unfortunately, I have no pictures of them).

For all stores, there is no specific mapping to the various departments in the stores, because each store might not eevn have a phone in the same place. I worked in two staples, and almost every extension was different. In general, the extensions go between 21 and 29. To call another phone, you simply pick up the reciever and (1) either push the very last button on the far right at the bottom (underneath the rest of the Line Buttons) and then dial the extension OR (2) simply pick up the reciever and dial the extension. To page from the older systems *is* universal - Pick up the handset, press "feature" (it's the wide button right above the red HOLD button) and then dial 6-3-0. After the 0 has been pushed, you'll hear a short tone over the intercom, and then your handset will be live over the entire store. To answer a call, simply press the Line Number of the call to the right of the flashing light. Dialing out from the stores is different, with one store I worked at needing only to pick up on lines 3, 4, or 5 and then dialing out (but with the area code first, even for local calls) but another needing you to dial "Feature" then 6-8-7-8-9-4-5-6 then the area code, then the phone number.

It's been a while since I've used the newer phones, but these have fancy features like "Electornics Hold" which then puts your line on hold and an automated voice comes over the paging system saying "There is a call holding for electronics".

Any other questions about the system may be asked here.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Staples Phones
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 05:00:38 PM »
Good info.  Thanks!  I just kind of threw that department store phones page up without finishing it.  One of these days I'll add your stuff to it.

http://www.phonelosers.org/article/storephones is the URL.  If anyone else has any good information to add, post it here.

Offline zsh

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Hey everyone!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:26:21 PM »
Generally, there are a few paging codes that work on certain brands of phones. Many brands use pre-set paging codes for their systems, unless the systems are super-programmed or custom-made and programmed (Home Depot).

Otherwise, these are the set paging codes:
Avaya/Lucent: 70
Mitel: **9 or 60
Toshiba: #30 or #39 (#39 is the over-ride/emergency code, which will interrupt a page, and nobody can page over you!)
Comdial: 89
Nortel: Feature then 630
Panasonic: 339 or 33*
Bizfon: 249
Samsung: 559
Iwatsu: 8

If anyone would like pictures of these brands, please post a message, and I will post photos!

Many stores use cheapo analog "home" telephones for asile phones and phones that don't get used much. To find out information on these phones, you have to look at what kinds of phones they have behind counters, at customer service, etc. Usually these will be black in color with a display and lots of buttons.

On Office Max phones, they are usually Toshiba, so #39 would work. Office Depot usually has "InterTel" Phones, and the Page button is a proprietery (sp) button marked on the phone. Wal*Mart has #96. Circuit City has 50.

I don't know what the code for Best Buy or Target is. The Target around here has the bright red phones, and it seems like they Page with a big microphone on the Customer Service counter. The employees communicate on their two-way radios. The Best Buys around here just switched their phones to Cisco IP phones, and I haven't had a chance to take a look at them yet. Some grocery stores/supermarkets (usually the smaller ones) use Aiphone systems, with the white handsets with four buttons on the base and a button on the inside of the corded handset, right under where your ear goes, that you hold and page with. These phones are not actual phones, just a glorified intercom system like some people have in their house, so there is no way to call out or dial an internal extension.

Other chains around here include Kohls, which use a variety of phones and Woodmans, which mainly uses Samsung phones. Shopko uses Mitel, but I haven't been able to figure out how to page on them, mainly because of the Indyme system (the system where you push the button and it announces "Customer Service, to ____________ department.). Fleet Farm/Farm and Fleet uses Mitel and you simply press 60, and speak after the short beep. Menards (Midwestern home improvement store) has a Samsung system, where you dial 559, you will hear a short beep/buzz over the intercom and then you talk.

I hope this information has been helpful, and please use it only in situations that are appropriate and not against the law...or at least I wouldn't! :)

Have a good day!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 08:27:18 AM by zsh »

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 02:26:34 AM »
I noticed on the store phone information page that there is no information on the Staples Phones other than a picture.

Luckily for you, after stumbling upon this website, I can add content! Don't you just wish all new people were like that?

For Staples, there are actually two phone models in the system, the older ones (shown on the page) and the newer ones (not shown, and unfortunately, I have no pictures of them).

For all stores, there is no specific mapping to the various departments in the stores, because each store might not eevn have a phone in the same place. I worked in two staples, and almost every extension was different. In general, the extensions go between 21 and 29. To call another phone, you simply pick up the reciever and (1) either push the very last button on the far right at the bottom (underneath the rest of the Line Buttons) and then dial the extension OR (2) simply pick up the reciever and dial the extension. To page from the older systems *is* universal - Pick up the handset, press "feature" (it's the wide button right above the red HOLD button) and then dial 6-3-0. After the 0 has been pushed, you'll hear a short tone over the intercom, and then your handset will be live over the entire store. To answer a call, simply press the Line Number of the call to the right of the flashing light. Dialing out from the stores is different, with one store I worked at needing only to pick up on lines 3, 4, or 5 and then dialing out (but with the area code first, even for local calls) but another needing you to dial "Feature" then 6-8-7-8-9-4-5-6 then the area code, then the phone number.

It's been a while since I've used the newer phones, but these have fancy features like "Electornics Hold" which then puts your line on hold and an automated voice comes over the paging system saying "There is a call holding for electronics".

Any other questions about the system may be asked here.

i used to work at a staples three years ago (had the old phones). that Feature-630 wasn't the code for paging. I think it was feature-218, but this was a long time ago and i might be off. But I'm positive it wasn't 630. So 630 might be common, but it's not universal.