Author Topic: 398 APPLICATIONS  (Read 4359 times)

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
398 APPLICATIONS
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:17:35 AM »
Is what it took for me to get a job since November of last year. And those are all the emailed applications counted; not  the physical ones I lost track of.

Going to buy as much cocaine as I can afford and snort it off my own dick now.

This thread also applies toward the total number of new threads. It is productive.

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
Re: 398 APPLICATIONS
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 01:27:23 PM »
Congrats on the new job. You definitely worked hard enough for it. Did you get one in your field or did you have to go elsewhere?
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
Got one in my field. Effectively a slack jawed computer technician. In fact one would wager to say I'm the only one at the place who doesn't opt for the "IT HAS A VIRUS; RE-INSTALL WINDOWS" tactic.

Still I applied for tons of jobs well outside of my field. Couldn't even get a job as a janitor in a high school or a janitor in office buildings. Guessing the Mexicans got it before I did (LOLOL RACIST JOKES LOLOLOL).

Economy is fucking broken. Now after six months I can finally turn my cellphone back on. Or fuck, I may as well get a new cellphone. Be hip and popular.

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
    • Quoth the RaVeN
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
Technically that was an nationality joke since Mexican is not a race or an ethnicity... Mexican could be a race I guess, but I would think it more as a swim meet...  :nonsense:

I have a friend-girl on house arrest that just got laid off her job as a junior high janitor. The old janitor decided that she wanted to come back (not exactly sure from where) but it was interesting to note that the old janitor was a mexican that spoke passable english whereas my friend is a red-blooded US of A-merican...

Economy is broken, Political correctness is wrong, stereo types exist for a reason - many people fit the profile, and profiling works. Why are we as americans so sorry and apologetic and not wanting to offend? I heard on the radio about a kindergarden in new york wanted to sing the song "America" for graduation but the principal forbid it fearing it may offend someone. WTF? The school and the children are American's in America. Who could possibly be offended? I wouldn't be offended if I was in France and people were singing about how great France was.

i am sick of our government, I am sick of society at large, I am sick at the lack of common sence, I am sick at the lack of original thought. Voting the bastards out only works when the people voting have sense, instead of simply hopping on the bus that the politician sent downtown saying "VOTE for me and get a free lunch"

Call me racist only if it's untrue.

In other news... I am an Android fan for a new cell phone... I loved the ATRIX II but hate AT&T's service so am presently a Milestone X2 user and am satisfied...

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
I could rant on for hours and make radical stereotypical statements of other people and supposed hand outs, but I won't. My soap box is broken and the Geek Squad wants 80 for a diagnostic.

Regardless. It's just been hell in a hand basket getting any form of stable work. Most off my income has been me doing virus removal for all the cool kids in high school and college for dirt fucking cheap. No matter how many times you tell any form of human to stay away from Limewire, they're drawn to it like moths to a flame. That sort of kept me busy some days, but seeing as I was literally charging only 20 dollars a pop, it didn't help. (diagnostic alone costs 20; I find viruses/virii/virtual blue balls the fee jumps to a modest 60-- atop a 10 dollar per profile surcharge)

Worked at AT&T for two years, one fart away at becoming a tier 2 technician for them (from 10.50 an hour to 26 an hour) before there was a massive  company wide lay off. Worked at various other mom and pop computer places doing everything from setting up WANs, LANs, wireless shit that only one laptop in the entire building was allowed to connect, and so forth, to a two year rut of no work at all.

Effectively with some where around 8 years experience working in all sorts of odds and ends of the famed IT field where there were tax deductions and employer brands, I couldn't find work doing shit. Maybe it's because I shoot straight and don't blow smoke up people's asses or immediately say brand X is always better than brand Y.

Finding work has been hell.

On the subject of Mexican versus other naming conventions? I never know if I should call them Hispanic, Latino, or Latin American. The language all sounds like shit to be. Except for a true Spaniard speaking the unmodified Spanish. That sounds beautiful and flowery by design.

So I don't know what to call you, you're branded by your country of origin.

Offline Mister Skin

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-2
  • Radio Jerk/Phone Phreak
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »
I pity your suffering, dude. While I was considered "tech support", I didn't do half the shit you did. Instead, I stuck with a suite of 5 or so failure-prone software packages that car dealerships complained about 24/7 through dealertrack.com.

Since then, I worked temporarily at McGraw Hill, and a fuck-all company that I worked with for 8 days. They just said it wasn't working out. Well fuck them too!

Jobs, they say, are a dime a dozen, but not in this economy..
The popcorn you have been eating has been pissed in, film at 11

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
    • Quoth the RaVeN
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
Jobs, they say, are a dime a dozen, but not in this economy..

It means that you have to work a dozen to make a dime. If it wasn't for my all-cash side jobs I'd be homeless. But the tech work is picking up... I'm getting my own customers and all these medical clinics are having to update for the EMR software (plus remain HIPPA and HI-TECH Act compliant) add to the fact that all of the vertical market software sucks so each clinic will try one then another and I get to charge for all the labor... I may actually make a living.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »
A hospital my shop down in Texas did work for was still using ISA slot graphics cards and printers.

ISA.

Holy shit.

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:40:43 AM »
think i still got one or two ISA cards in my closet.. i think either a dial up modem or video card or something.. got nothing to plug them into tho.. threw out any motherboards that were under p4.. and those are probably on their way out next time i clean out the closet..

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
Had an on site call today. Was supposed to just go out there and set up their VOIP service. Turns out the lady is bat shit insane crazy and wears tin foil hats. No longer was I required to set up their VOIP. Instead it became my job to set up a shitty hardware firewall that comes with fees upon fees just to use.

I CAN'T ACCESS THE NETWORK MAP FOR THE HARDWARE FIREWALL BECAUSE YOU NEED TO PAY A FEE TO GET TO THAT SHIT.

Apparently it's a 1 year fee you pay and it lets you access the soft bits of your already expensive firewall.

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
    • Quoth the RaVeN
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 10:35:07 AM »
I went to a client today that said she thought she had a bad monitor. All she could see was the Dell logo then nothing but black screen. So she changed the monitor with an old CRT and all she got was black screen, then decided to call me since the problem was obviously very serious.

Once I got there I showed her a little button "Press ---> here to turn the computer on."

I wanted to point out that the Dell logo proved the monitor was good, and a myriad of other of her mistaken asumptions, but instead I asked her to sign a $110 invoice, smiled and told her to have a nice day!

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
i used to love going out to no dial tone troubles where the person plugged a phone cord into the NIC on a computer, or networked printer... only problem with those calls is if people were honest with me up front it would not have taken at least 30 min or so trying to troubleshoot where the short was inside your home / business..  they never answer truthfully when you ask if you made any changes or connected anything new, until you show them the problem... then everyone always says "ohhhh yea.... so-and-so did that the other day"... another lie obviously since they do not want to look like a complete tool...

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
I am now without a job again. The place I worked for refused to compensate me for the hours missing on several checks, we sold computers that were 100% guaranteed to fail and had to deal with irate customers every day because the pawn shop tactics we employed.

Also I got to report them to Microsoft for software piracy.

This is my livejournal post.

Thank you.