Author Topic: kool fones  (Read 4153 times)

Offline hosh_spicer

• OMG!!!
  • PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-5
  • OMG...so what does that red button do again??
kool fones
« on: November 22, 2006, 06:53:09 PM »
I found these phones interesting...

reminds me of something from WWII

hey you hunters

for the business man in all of us

for gibson fans...Get one today for just 199.00

who wants a cheeseburger?

how bout a coca-cola?

any hippie flower children out there?

I don't know why...but i'd so like to have
one of these to beige box with...

there is a ton of other ones...just thought these ones were interesting

Offline hosh_spicer

• OMG!!!
  • PLA Fan Club
Re: kool fones
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 06:58:01 PM »
Also RBCP, I'm not sure if you have ever thought about doing something like this but on the website where I found those phones there is a section where you can order custom phones...like put your logo or some words on it...I'm not sure how much it is either I called and they were closed so I'll give em' a call back after the holiday...I thought about getting one with the word BEIGEBOX or PHONE LOSER something of the liking in big bold letters...just a thought.

Offline Fred

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-3
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 02:34:28 AM »
I want a zebra one.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 02:36:51 AM by Fred »

Offline Altalp

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +244/-20
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:39:35 AM »

Offline .Jon

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 08:29:52 AM »
I actually have the first one. it doesent have the map/door thing though. i wonder if it still works

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 02:35:20 PM »
Ever seen those poster phones? They hang on your wall and have a built in speaker phone. They are probably really shitty, but its an interesting (failed) concept...
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 12:54:14 AM »
Weren't those things fairly expensive? If they were, I'm gonna say that most people who wanted a wall speakerphone would get an integrated intercom system (or a phone that looks like an intercom) over a tacky ass poster that now has 2 things that can go wrong with it (poster falling apart or phone going to shit).

The coke phone reminds me of the Pepsi Box, and I'm pretty sure a friend's dad had the briefcase/cigar case phone.

I'd prefer something a bit quirkier, kind of like the old tables that were also cigarette stations with car-styled lighters, ashtrays, and a cut glass top. My girlfriend's mom has a couple of those, and they're super-sweet, even if they don't work.

Offline hosh_spicer

• OMG!!!
  • PLA Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 07:52:16 AM »

thats badass, packman owns

Ever seen those poster phones? They hang on your wall and have a built in speaker phone. They are probably really shitty, but its an interesting (failed) concept...

...what are you talking about, I don't think I'v heard of those erm...I dont remember...are they called "poster phones" ?

I'd prefer something a bit quirkier, kind of like the old tables that were also cigarette stations with car-styled lighters, ashtrays, and a cut glass top. My girlfriend's mom has a couple of those, and they're super-sweet, even if they don't work.

are you talking about the cigartte station, like the girls used to wear with the strap around their necks at like ball games and what not?

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:47:07 PM »
novelty phones are sooooo 1970s

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 05:37:39 PM »
No, it isn't the cigarette station, it's an end table/lamp/ashtray/lighters. If they still have it, I'll try to get a pic and post it.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
The original FLIP PHONE!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 10:10:15 AM »
Anyone remember these? Prolly not, youse youngins!

The history of flip phones:

Prior to the early 1980s, all phones in the USA were property of the Bell System and were only available on a leased basis to telephone service customers, for a nominal per-unit charge on their monthly bill. Whenever a customer cancelled his/her phone service, the telco would send a serviceman out to retrieve any phones, much like the way cable TV companies do with their decoder boxes today.

Then around 1980 or so, the GTE corporation came out with a few product lines of cheap-o phones marketed directly to consumers for use in their homes. For the first time, if you had your own phones, you'd be exempted from a portion of your monthly equipment lease charges.

One of these products, called "Flip-Phone," is pictured above. Prior to this design, all phones had had seperate receivers and cradles. The Flip-Phone's self-contained, unitary design was revolutionary in that it opened the connection to dial tone whenever the flip-cover was opened, and cut the connection when it was closed. Flip-Phone was compact, could be set down in any position without opening the line, and you wouldn't have to worry too much about it getting knocked over, either. It was not cordless, however, so it was still tethered to the RJ11 wall jack.

For whatever reason, this innovative, Star Trek-inspired phone design didn't catch on in the USA until the advent of cellular service in the mid '80s, when Motorola introduced the first cellular flip, the venerable DPC650 model. In its day, the DPC650 was a huge step forward in the miniaturization of cell phone handset technology. Nowadays, the flip design is of course standard in the cellphone industry.

I've been trying to find a video copy of the old original "Flip-Phone" TV commercials that aired in the late 1970s and early '80s. It had a catchy little jingle that went something like, "Flip phone, the new phone you can own..." If any of you has a copy of this vintage TV commercial, please PM me!!!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:44:27 PM by Colonel Panic »

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
Re: The original FLIP PHONE!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:19:06 AM »
Jesus christ, the flip phone is made of wood!
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 10:25:51 AM »
Nah, it's just a shitty fake-woodgrain veneer.

It was the '70s, what do you expect?!?