Author Topic: Cell Phone Abuse  (Read 6192 times)

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
Cell Phone Abuse
« on: May 31, 2006, 09:10:42 AM »
A $500 fine for 'misusing' your cell phone.
I don't live in Chicago but the similar proposals have been made in Louisville, to no avail.  I think It's too much a pain in the ass to enforce + incidental to the crime committed.  If I'm stealing someone's SSN why the fuck is it 'worse' if I used a cell phone camera?
http://www.mobiletracker.net/archives/2004/03/04/chicago_ponders.phphttp://
Thoughts?

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
Re: Cell Phone Abuse
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »
Well here in Chicago, there seems to be a lot of stupid legislation being passed these days.

It's now apparently illegal in Chicago for small groups of people to assemble peaceably in a public place. (1st Amendment, anyone?) Some new "anti-gang crime" legislation, passed a couple years ago, gives Chicago policemen the power to order small groups of people to disperse from any public location. If they fail to leave the area within a given number of minutes, the police can arrest them for disobeying a police order.

The City Council also recently passed an ordinance making it illegal to smoke cigarettes within 15' of the front entrance of any public building, as part of their big anti-smoking initiative.

Now I don't smoke myself, but it doesn't take a freaking genius to predict all the trouble that can be caused when all the downtown smokers are required to congregate in back alleys to have a cigarette...

Maybe the cops will come along and tell them to beat it or they'll go to jail.

I wonder how they even expect to enforce that cell-phone law...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:32:47 PM by Colonel Panic »

Sleepy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 12:48:44 PM »

It's now apparently illegal in Chicago for small groups of people to assemble peaceably in a public place. (1st Amendment, anyone?) Some new "anti-gang crime" legislation, passed a couple years ago, gives Chicago policemen the power to order small groups of people to disperse from any public location. If they fail to leave the area within a given number of minutes, the police can arrest them for disobeying a police order.

???

Freedom of speech does not mean you have a right to be HEARD. It simply means you are free from government persecution based on your speech. Nor does it mean you have any right to create more work for the police, emergency personnel and clean-up crews (at taxpayer expense) with your "assembly".

Get a website to share an opinion, the 1960s are long dead.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:00:35 PM by Sleepy »

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 01:13:43 PM »
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I didn't say they had to be doing anything to make trouble for the police. Even if a few kids are just standing around talking or hanging out, the cops can come along and tell them to clear out, no questions asked. And if they fail to do so, they can be arrested and hauled off to jail. That sounds like a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment, doesn't it?

BTW, what do the '60s have to do with any of this?

Sleepy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:31:15 PM »
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I didn't say they had to be doing anything to make trouble for the police. Even if a few kids are just standing around talking or hanging out, the cops can come along and tell them to clear out, no questions asked. And if they fail to do so, they can be arrested and hauled off to jail. That sounds like a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment, doesn't it?

BTW, what do the '60s have to do with any of this?

Well noooo, it sounds like text-book enforcement of long established LOITERING laws! Notice the word “hang” in the definition.

loiter
One entry found for loiter.
Main Entry: loi•ter
Pronunciation: 'loi-t&r
Function: intransitive verb
Etymology: Middle English
1 : to delay an activity with aimless idle stops and pauses : DAWDLE
2 a : to remain in an area for no obvious reason : HANG AROUND b : to lag behind

I imagine it's the ENFORCEMENT portion of this extremely common law that bothers you. It’s hardly creditable to be invoking the First Amendment as a defense however. And further…if you disobey ANY lawful order from the police you goto jail, nothing new under the sun there either.

…right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Last I checked Congress does not convene in parks or downtown business districts. So unless they’re doing their “hanging” on the steps of the Capital building I think this is just a red herring on your part. I can’t remember the last time I felt as though I was “petitioning the government for redress of grievances” while smoking a blunt with my mates in a park. Can you?

SO, since THAT'S the tack you wish to take…I imagine you knew EXACTLY what I meant by the "1960s"!  ;)

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:31:34 AM »
It's not creditable to invoke the Constitution? WTF? Read the Bill Of Rights. It's written in plain language.

If you read Amendment 1, Loitering laws are obviously unconstitutional. Just because a law has been around for a long time doesn't mean it's a good law. Unless a group of people is causing a clear danger for the local populace, why should they not be allowed to meet on a sidewalk and talk amongst themselves? That is the basis of "peaceful assembly." It doesn't necessarily have to refer to a bunch of nasty, filthy hippies protesting wars, nuclear power, or furriers on the open streets (although it does protect them, too).

This anti-gang-loitering ordinance is just another law that allows the police to be lazy about doing their job, and gives them more leeway to arrest citizens. If these people they're harrassing are such a danger to society, then why is it so hard for the cops to actually CATCH them doing something illegal? If they're gathering on the sidewalk for the purpose of, say, selling drugs, then why can't the cops just randomly stop and search them (citing the old 'probable cause'), find the dope all packaged for sale and ready to go, then charge them with possession with intent to deliver?

Last I checked Congress does not convene in parks or downtown business districts. So unless they’re doing their “hanging” on the steps of the Capital building I think this is just a red herring on your part. I can’t remember the last time I felt as though I was “petitioning the government for redress of grievances” while smoking a blunt with my mates in a park. Can you?

You're implying that Americans are only allowed to meet in public when they're trying to petition the government? Amendment 1 has several parts to it. Freedom of speech doesn't only apply when you're writing your congressman! Meeting in public with friends without the government harrassing you is one of ouir basic rights in this country. What country do you live in, anyway?

You don't live in Chicago, apparently. Unless you've actually spent enough time here to see some abuses of this law, I don't think you have a clear notion of what I'm talking about. I have seen cops drive up to bus stops and harass the kids who were waiting for the bus. The cop told them, "I saw you standing here before the last bus went by. Why are you still here?" One kid said he had to get change for the fare, and the cop told him that if they're still standing there after the next bus comes, he's going to jail. That seems a little unfair and definitely unconstitutional to me.

If you and your friends are sitting in a park smoking blunts, there's your illegal activity right there. You deserve to get arrested. That's pretty damn stupid, don't you think? Next time just save the police some trouble and smoke it on the front steps of the local cop shop.

Anyway, I thought this thread was supposed to be about a stupid cell phone cam law.

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 10:11:23 AM »
By 'thoughts' I meant about the goddamn article... but thanks for straying back Colonel.
They can't take your phone unless they catch you in the act... maybe if the chick's snatch is right there on the LCD ["Save? Y/N"]

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:13:48 AM »
The City Council also recently passed an ordinance making it illegal to smoke cigarettes within 15' of the front entrance of any public building, as part of their big anti-smoking initiative.

it's 25 feet from an entrance or window (public places) here. (portland, vancouver)

the only exceptions that are seeming to be made are the students at PSU who smoke where they aren't supposed to.. and you don't want to f*ck with the kids at psu..

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-8
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 03:21:36 PM »
Many states are deciding to create laws like this, for our own "good". But is it really good? Is this what the US is coming to? States that inforce their own rules like this? It's total bull!

I know Florida, the state I may be moving to next month, has all of these anti-"hacker" laws. "If this is done, then the fine is this amount and the person will be in jail for this many years. If this is done, then the person is sentenced to 2 years in jail, a fine of this amount of money will be set... Blah blah blah ." I'm pretty upset about it, but what can I do?

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
Deface the webpages of the Florida Congress and tell them what you think.

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-8
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »
Deface the webpages of the Florida Congress and tell them what you think.

I'd, uh, rather not ;). I don't do defacements. That wouldn't even be ethical.

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 07:52:52 AM »
...although I'm definitely pissed, I think it's a little unneccessary.  This law isn't a big deal because it's so unneccessary.  Just like blue collar 'physical' crime, often you might get cited for several things, but if you can make plea bargain you might just get charged with the heaviest thing + they drop the rest.  I got a call yesterday from an old friend that just got out of county jail yesterday, + his smorgasboard of shit he did in Jan got reduced to one misdemeanor assault charge.  He's been in more than out, + made shock probation on top of all this.  And that was 'real' crime.

'Abusing' the cell phone sounds like a secondary offense kind of law... can't target you for it, but if you're doing it when they catch you w/something else, you get this too.  Like not-wearing seatbelts [in some states] ...that's stupid enough but please, we can't let it become a reason to be fucked with.  Cops got real shit to do, like chase my ex-friend.