Author Topic: How many payphones are left in your town?  (Read 4611 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Re: How many payphones are left in your town?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »
Every summer I explore town and do a similar scavenger hunt.

I've found that of the 10 payphones put up on city property throughout the main part of the city, there are two left. One is in front of the city bus station, and the other is in a really crappy old section of our downtown between a pawn shop and a "travel agency" (quotes used because I'm almost positive it's a front).

Only a few gas stations in town keep their payphones inside the location. Many have drive-ups, but they're almost always COCOTS and either in non-working condition or just outrageously expensive.

There are two older working Ameritech phones in the Open Pantry (kind of like a Safeway with a Mobil gas station attatched), a few in an old laundrymat, a couple in our strip mall, one in the high school (but I don't know if it works), NONE on campus, and a couple at various restaurants. There were also a few at our regional airport (which is the only reason I've EVER gone there)
I didn't get to finish my search this summer, but my final total of non-COCOT phones totalled 12, and my search of COCOT phones stopped at 15 before I got sick of biking everywhere.

For reference, I'm in Oshkosh, WI with a population of about 67,000 + about 10,000 additional people on campus and about 10,000 in outlying townships and villages.

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
Payphones are abundant in southern california. They aren't being taken down. Mexicans love them.
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
We've got Verizon Bitches!

But there were a few AT&T units that are being taken down, including one in our school.
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline gangals

• Merp?
  • PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-31
  • ummm cacti
    • http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1879/bagmanonfire4pb.jpg
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 08:53:23 PM »
We have a local telco, Cincinnati Bell. I've only seen one set of phones removed. There was a bank of 5 at a grocery store and now there's only one, but there's still 2 others on the other side of the store. I live in the ghetto, so there are still many individuals who utilize the payphones.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 09:00:09 PM »
Manitoba uses MTS, a now private former Crown corporation.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Jo Nathen

• [Almost a 100 count poster]
  • PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-45
  • Messing around with skype and my job has a pbx.
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »
We have a local telco, Cincinnati Bell. I've only seen one set of phones removed. There was a bank of 5 at a grocery store and now there's only one, but there's still 2 others on the other side of the store. I live in the ghetto, so there are still many individuals who utilize the payphones.

Yeah I wish prepaid phones would make a new advancement so I can goto wawa without people standing in my way.  >:(