Author Topic: I just realized I have a useless job  (Read 5589 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
I just realized I have a useless job
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:17:36 AM »
My job consists of answering a phone, apologizing for a problem, and saying "Go back to the store with your receipt for a refund". Occasionally I have to do something exciting like call UPS or a store, and sometimes I even get to fill out some forms, but not often. I can't believe my job hasn't been outsourced yet.

/livejournal

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
Re: I just realized I have a useless job
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »
As soon as your boss reads this, you will be replaced by an answering machine with a prerecorded apology. Then we will find out the access code and change the message.
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:51:11 AM »
I was planning on approaching my direct supervisor with a plan to streamline the dept, allowing me to take on the workload of four part-time associates with the same number of hours I currently have committed for the pay of two associates. My plan: they fire the other idiots that just take up space and simply route more calls to me.

Seriously, I had my performance review last night and she (my supervisor) already confided to me that I have almost double the resolved cases of people that work in my dept full time, meaning I work about half as much as they do and have double the resolved cases they do. I'm not great with percentages when I'm drinking, but I'm pretty sure that means I'm four times more efficient than the average employee, only I make less since I'm young, part-time, and not a lifer there.

Offline Jordan

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:44:29 PM »
I'm a bill collector, I seem to create more un-resolved issues than I do resolve them.  :D You should feel GREAT for that accomplishment. Now that your supervisor has told you that great piece of information, it wouldn't be wrong of you to demand a raise, would it?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 09:59:50 PM »

"What would you say it is you actually do here?"

Offline Jordan

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 10:04:57 PM »

"What would you say it is you actually do here?"

I would say, "I'm glad gentlemen you've decided on giving myself a generous pay raise and a month's paid time off. I'll be starting that paid time off immediately." I would proceed to stand, smile, shake hands, and walk away.

or --

I would say, "And once again, if you don't give me the pay raise or the month's time off, I'll cut your ______ off and ___________ and after that I'll _____________."

I would love to be in this position.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »
I would say, "Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? "

Offline Jordan

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 10:11:32 PM »
And they would say,

"We hired you. Now we will fix the problem..."

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:12:35 AM »
The problem is, I just got a raise as part of my review, so it wouldn't be prudent to immediately ask for another one. I'm pretty sure my plan also goes against corporate policy, though her and I could have some laughs about it.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:33:08 AM »
My job consists of answering a phone, apologizing for a problem, and saying "Go back to the store with your receipt for a refund". Occasionally I have to do something exciting like call UPS or a store, and sometimes I even get to fill out some forms, but not often. I can't believe my job hasn't been outsourced yet.

/livejournal

It has in some cases, I do the same stuff when I don't have an answer or I just don't feel like talking

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 01:42:32 AM »
Yeah, I suppose you and I have pretty similar jobs, when I think about it. Has the company you work for always been based in Argentina, though?

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 01:48:45 AM »
Yeah, I suppose you and I have pretty similar jobs, when I think about it. Has the company you work for always been based in Argentina, though?

Nope, its a Dutch CO and I take calls from everywhere, ask RBPC...

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 01:59:59 AM »
Since when does Holland (er, the Netherlands) outsource to South America?

I think Footlocker Inc prides itself on being an all-American company. We handle all customer service issues for American, Canadian, and international (their distinction, not mine, so don't point out that Canada is technically international in regards to the US) customer service issues in one of three WI based call-centers, one in Camp Hill, PA; or in Junction City, KS (not absolutely sure about the last two, but I'm pretty sure there are call centers there).

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 02:10:17 AM »
Since when does Holland (er, the Netherlands) outsource to South America?

I think Footlocker Inc prides itself on being an all-American company. We handle all customer service issues for American, Canadian, and international (their distinction, not mine, so don't point out that Canada is technically international in regards to the US) customer service issues in one of three WI based call-centers, one in Camp Hill, PA; or in Junction City, KS (not absolutely sure about the last two, but I'm pretty sure there are call centers there).

The CO is here for about 3 years now, and we provide 3rd party outsourcing in every language you can possibly imagine.
In fact loads of Companies are outsourcing here since we are cheap and its full of foreingers that like the place and they speak the original language. Not like me :s

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 07:04:50 AM »
Hey FB, if I visit Argentina, will you show me around?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 07:29:54 AM by Colonel Panic »