Author Topic: Deaf Relay  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Deaf Relay
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »
As I may or may not have said on this forum, I'm making a CD of relay operators reading lyrics of songs with the appropriate instrumentals in the background. I usually use my portable TTY from payphones and call friends' cellphones but the recording quality always sucks. I also get the same operators all the time, and I'd like some variety.

Anyway today I remembered that LiveJournal has a toll-free number you can dial to upload updates, so I was all like omfg I have to liek totally do this. That solves the problem of recording the calls, but payphones still give horrible quality and they read the lyrics wrong.

I tried to voIP and was happy with all the different relay services I could use, but the quality was so bad (I taped my microphone and earbud to the cups on the TTY) that my messages were all garbled (they were a bit confused about where I was calling from however, which was amusing). I could recieve their messages clearly, but couldn't respond to me. I tried tweaking the volume levels on the mic and earbud but twas to no avail.

I tried to use proxies on IP relay but the ones I found were all using java so the proxies couldn't handle it. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can securely get high-quality relay recordings?
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
Re: Deaf Relay
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
As I may or may not have said on this forum, I'm making a CD of relay operators reading lyrics of songs with the appropriate instrumentals in the background. I usually use my portable TTY from payphones and call friends' cellphones but the recording quality always sucks. I also get the same operators all the time, and I'd like some variety.

Anyway today I remembered that LiveJournal has a toll-free number you can dial to upload updates, so I was all like omfg I have to liek totally do this. That solves the problem of recording the calls, but payphones still give horrible quality and they read the lyrics wrong.

I tried to voIP and was happy with all the different relay services I could use, but the quality was so bad (I taped my microphone and earbud to the cups on the TTY) that my messages were all garbled (they were a bit confused about where I was calling from however, which was amusing). I could recieve their messages clearly, but couldn't respond to me. I tried tweaking the volume levels on the mic and earbud but twas to no avail.

I tried to use proxies on IP relay but the ones I found were all using java so the proxies couldn't handle it. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can securely get high-quality relay recordings?

Dear Tachyon,

I am informed by my super elite phreaker friends that as long as you're not harrassing them, you should just have them call your home phone if it's easy to record calls from it.  Have you looked at rbcp's setup at home?  Er, I mean, in "the studio?"  http://www.phonelosers.org/radio/studio/

There's also this helpful section: http://www.phonelosers.com/article/recording_telephone_calls/

And if you hate PLA, you can see what these guys say: http://lifehacker.com/software/telephony/call-for-help-record-telephone-calls-183724.php

For my own calls, my dad has this suction cup thingie he brought home a few years back and it always seems to record things very well.

Good luck!
Love,
jammie