Author Topic: So what books are you reading?  (Read 34877 times)

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +60/-38
  • Awkward Hugs for everyone!
    • rogueclown.net
Re: So what books are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »
i need to read more HST...the only one of his books i've read so far is Hell's Angels.  i find outlaw motorcycle gangs fascinating, so i really enjoyed it.
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
Yeah I quite enjoyed it. On a related HST note, last week Rolling Stone moved his columns back into the free section, I recommend the one about the flaming birds at Owl Farm. Also this documentary I found on BitTorrent called "Breakfast with Hunter", where they basically follow him around for a while. Johnny Depp guest stars, it's good stuff.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »
Now reading Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. After that I've got Ender's Game (a friend of mine accidentally ordered double the amount of stuff on amazon and sent me the doubles to read) and the books after Ender's Game. I'm probably going to be reading Flow my tears, the policemen said after Altered Carbon.

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »
Now reading Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. After that I've got Ender's Game (a friend of mine accidentally ordered double the amount of stuff on amazon and sent me the doubles to read) and the books after Ender's Game. I'm probably going to be reading Flow my tears, the policemen said after Altered Carbon.

I actually don't read much Sci Fi, but a good friend of mine lent me Ender's Game and I couldn't put it down.  I really really really loved that book.

I just finished reading The Ruins since it got a nice endorsement from Stephen King and they're about to release a movie on it.  The book was... eh.  Guessing the movie will be just as eh.  I don't think Little Shop of Horrors will have to worry about being replaced by The Ruins as the top horror flicks about killer plants.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2008, 08:17:06 AM »
Currently reading The Proud Highway, Turn on tune in drop out, and one flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
    • rogueclown.net
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »
i'm currently reading a ton of cases on federal jurisdiction.

/wrists
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
Don't hack across state lines?

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
    • rogueclown.net
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »
hahaha...nah, not that kind of federal jurisdiction.  i wish.  stuff like standing and mootness and ripeness...stuff that you really don't care about unless you're a lawyer desperate to kick a case that's been brought against your client, or a judge desperate to avoid ruling on a case.

--Nod

Jay-D

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
Right now I'm reading "Messy Spirituality" by Mike Yaconelli  http://tinyurl.com/6zlorw

I don't go to church enough, I seldom pray. And sometimes when I'm on the road and pissed off, frustrated, lonely and missing my family or my late grandmother. My Christian faith gets me through. This is the book fo those who feel that they don't do Christianity right.

Another one I'm reading is "Project Beta: The Story Of Paul Bennewitz, National Security, And The Creation Of A Modern UFO Myth" by Gregory J. Bhishop-Hurley.     http://tinyurl.com/56maba

I love UFO and alien stuff and this book is very informative to say the least.

From Publishers Weekly
This allegedly true tale of government secrecy reads like the entire story arc of the X-Files. Covering topics like alien invasion, UFOs, paranoia, cover-ups and smear campaigns, this book has all the elements of a compelling-though not entirely believable-yarn, but the narrative never gels into such a tale. In a nutshell, Bishop's story centers around the now-deceased Paul Bennewitz, a hapless electrical physicist living near Kirtland Air Force Base outside of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Bennewitz detected what he believed to be signs of alien contact and began to grow alarmed, even panicked, by his observations. The book contends that while Bennewitz inadvertently did get close to something top secret, various government agencies fed him lies and disinformation to keep him believing in an imminent alien invasion until he was completely discredited and utterly insane. Eventually, author and UFO researcher Bill Moore was recruited as a mole to help in the disinformation campaign against Bennewitz. While hardcore UFO aficionados will no doubt salivate over the accusations, details and techie tidbits contained herein, Bishop never conveys a real sense of Bennewitz's personality and motivations, and neither Bennewitz nor Moore emerge as fully fleshed out individuals. Instead, Bishop tells readers that Bennewitz was a "genius at figuring things out" and "his Achilles heel was his credulity." It would have been nice to understand the broken man at the center of it all, but as it is, Mulder and Scully seem more three dimensional than the players in this narrative.

Offline vixen

• Full-time Posting Prostitute
  • 1337 13V3L: +25/-26
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »
i'm reading this book called "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.. you all should check it out.. it's pretty damn good. After that, I plan on reading some books that I recently purchased... The Torture Garden (Octave Mirbeau), 120 Days to Sodom, and Philosophies in the Bedroom.... by Marquis de Sade... if any of you know him you'll know i'm kind of messed up :) but seriously, check em out!

Offline Cazimere

• Google is your Friend
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-56
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »
I'm all about Holocaust type stories. The diary of Anne Frank and Night were some of the good 1's.

Offline vixen

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
I'm all about Holocaust type stories. The diary of Anne Frank and Night were some of the good 1's.

yeah I'm quite into Holocaust/German books, too. I have an obsession with Germany... and I speak German.. have you read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"? or "Mein Kampf"? Definitely worth checking out :)

Offline Cazimere

• Google is your Friend
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-56
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »

yeah I'm quite into Holocaust/German books, too. I have an obsession with Germany... and I speak German.. have you read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"? or "Mein Kampf"? Definitely worth checking out :)

Mein Kampf. We have talked about that in school. I heard it is worth reading. I will pick up those books and check em out

Offline vixen

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2008, 01:08:32 PM »
Definitely do so! Let me know what you think of them when you're done... (if we're both still around) haha!

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2008, 09:09:49 AM »

Mein Kampf. We have talked about that in school. I heard it is worth reading. I will pick up those books and check em out

Sad part is I'm curious about this book but I don't want to look like a pledging skinhead when I ask for it at Barnes and Noble. After all having a good book on your shelf lets people know what to expect when they walk in the house.