Author Topic: Contextual ads  (Read 3899 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Contextual ads
« on: June 05, 2007, 12:16:56 PM »
I set up a contextual ads thing with Amazon on the site.  This causes certain words in posts to be linked to products at Amazon.com, so you might notice this in some posts.  It seems to be completely random at linking to things.

If this is too annoying or causes problems, please tell me.  So far I haven't noticed any issues with it, but it's only been up a few hours.  If it sucks too badly or annoys the hell out of everyone, I'll take them down.  Or maybe just make it so only guests see them.

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
Re: Contextual ads
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:14:17 PM »
That's awesome. They recommend some weird stuff for us. Mostly about phones or Tesla. You should make a web spider to click the links for you over and over.
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 03:28:18 PM »
I only get paid if someone actually orders something from Amazon.  It double underlines everything so you can tell the difference between an Amazon link and a regular link.  I'm hoping Amazon links aren't allowed to put something on top of an existing link.  I haven't seen that happen yet, though.  Mostly I've just noticed it linking to an order page if someone mentions a band.

I wonder how far it goes with linking things.  I set the limit per page at 10 links so it wouldn't get too crazy.  But I don't know how it chooses which words to link.

Mark Twain

Greenday

Lost

Spiderman

Cellular Phone

Aquafina

Condoms

Apples

Pantyhose

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
I have not seen any links, just the ad sidebar on the left. Do you get paid if we use the link and order something else, or does it have to be the item in the ad? We could always add
Code: [Select]
?tag=phonelosers-20&camp=211493&creative=379989&linkCode=op1&creativeASIN=0735203431&adid=07RCEY75MVV0J3R6WPP2&to the things we buy

I added the url and hit enter and it stuck. Then I added the item to my cart. I did this for a new book and a used one. Let us know if that works for either.

When I came back here there was an ad for one of the books I ordered. Now there's an ad for one of the books I looked at.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:59:03 PM by mr_doc »
Unnamed Forums

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 04:00:53 PM »
I have not seen any links, just the ad sidebar on the left. Do you get paid if we use the link and order something else, or does it have to be the item in the ad? We could always add
Code: [Select]
?tag=phonelosers-20&camp=211493&creative=379989&linkCode=op1&creativeASIN=0735203431&adid=07RCEY75MVV0J3R6WPP2&to the things we buy

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?topic=1385.0 is a good place to see a few of the contextual ads.  Amazon says that the time varies for ads being linked, anywhere from 2 minutes to 4 hours.  Guess that's why my words in my previous post aren't linked yet.

And yeah, anything you search for in that search box in the left sidebar will be credited to me.  So if you buy something I get RICH!  I used it last week to order the Fark book.  Then I found out today that I'm not allowed to do that.  It's against Amazon's rules for me to order stuff using my own referral code.  But it looks like they gave me credit for it anyway.

I just noticed on phonelosers.org, the phrase "in the name of Jesus" is linked to "In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership"

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 04:08:27 PM »
I now control the Amazon window... I hope everyone here likes ads for ninja books.

So if I follow one of the links to Amazon and choose a different product you will still get credit, or we need to modify the url? Just want to be sure cause I use Amazon a lot
Unnamed Forums

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 04:18:33 PM »
I'm not completely sure, but I think anything you order during your visit immediately after clicking on a link or doing a search will be credited to me.  I only think this because in my order reports, it shows that somebody ordered hundreds of Pampers baby diapers and that was before I had a search box up anywhere.

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 05:51:52 AM »
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.