Author Topic: Contextual ad ethics  (Read 1808 times)

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
Contextual ad ethics
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:41:39 PM »
jammie,

If I placed an article on my website under the stipulation that I not change the text or links of that article, would it be unethical for me to put contextual links to other portions of my site in it without altering the existing links? Technically the article would be unchanged right? Plus my page rank would bleed out a lot less. What do you think?
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
Re: Contextual ad ethics
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »
jammie,

If I placed an article on my website under the stipulation that I not change the text or links of that article, would it be unethical for me to put contextual links to other portions of my site in it without altering the existing links? Technically the article would be unchanged right? Plus my page rank would bleed out a lot less. What do you think?

Dear mr_doc,

That sounds fine to me.  I noticed a few months ago on Yahoo! Messenger it actually automatically links certain words when you type them out.. So if I go "Hey Brad, you suck for listening to Ashlee Simpson," Ashlee Simpson would be automatically linked to a Yahoo! search on her or something.  None of the text changed or the context... and I think your question falls under the same umbrella.  If anything, you're providing more links to more content and information, and that can't be a bad thing.  At least you won't be all annoying like Yahoo! is.  Do eet!

Love,
jammie