Author Topic: Phreaky Phantom Phones  (Read 1736 times)

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
Phreaky Phantom Phones
« on: June 25, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
A friend of mine got a summer internship under his father working for the telco. He is working at the switch, connecting wires to other wires.

Not too long ago, he tells me about how he 'accidentally dialed 911 to a house whose line he was working on, twice.' How do you accidentally dial 911 twice? He says, with a bad connection (on a buttset), his father and he have seen random numbers dialed, and they call it phantom dialing.

Now, I find this completely ludicrous. It's a bit much to call the guy a liar--at the worst, he could be trying to impress me as he knows I'm all about the mf'ing phone sys--but seriously. It couldn't be MF signalling, because a bad connection doesn't produce such high frequencies and especially not two of them at once that happen to coincide with paradigm used by phones; so it would have to be miraculous pulse dialing.

But what are the chances of a bad connection modulating between 0 and 1 for the right periods, especially to dial a number as high as nine? Has anyone else heard about this, know anything about it, seen it with your own eyes?
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Phreaky Phantom Phones
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »
I can see lower numbers being dialed, but a 9 would be almost impossible.  Especially twice.