Author Topic: Working under a fake name  (Read 12145 times)

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Working under a fake name
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »
Working under fake names intrigues me, but I can't figure out how to cash a check made out to a fake name after getting hired.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
Re: Working under a fake name
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:42:04 PM »
A check-cashing place will do it but you'll lose some of it. Otherwise you can try bringing it to whatever bank it's drawn on and getting cash.

Opening a bank account under the fake name would be ideal.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
They'd ask for ID though, right?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 01:21:21 PM »
Try registering on line. You might be able to get away with just supplying a birth registration number and a SSN. You can lift those off people.

Or you could pretend to be a doctor and send to the government a birth registration for a birth that never happened, and assume that un-baby's identity.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 01:26:16 PM »
Check cashing places exist for people without ID, you'll do fine there. The bank the check is drawn on will have their own policies, though. They might take no ID or weak ID, or they might not want to do it at all even with proper ID. YMMV

Opening a bank account requires ID or some other special effort.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 08:12:03 PM »
They'd ask for ID though, right?

So would the place that's hiring you.

My bank charges $5.00 to anyone who doesn't have an account there.  I've heard them say that to people there before who were trying to cash a check.  I would guess they'd still ask for ID though.  The question is, what kind of ID will they accept?  Call around to some banks in your area and ask them that question.

When I used to work under fake names, I almost always used check cashing places.  They steal a small percent from you, but at least you don't have to pay taxes at the end of the year.  It all works out.  I would have a photocopy of my drivers license (fake, obviously) and I would claim that I'd recently lost my original.  I'd say I had the photocopy because my employer had needed a photocopy of it when I got hired and I'd made an extra copy.  I also used banks that the checks were from, if they were local.  They would know that the check was good, so they'd just need some ID.

What you do, is use something like a photocopied ID to build up other kinds of ID.  Like, use it to get a card at a video store.  Now you have a second type of ID.  Use those to get a library card.  Make yourself a laminated college ID to back it all up.  You could probably make a realistic-looking social security card.  The more fake ID you carry around in your wallet, the more convincing you'll be.  And the more IDs you acquire, the more you can get.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:44:46 PM »
Would I need both sides of the ID photocopied? The last place I worked at never needed an ID, and that was an office job. They asked for a SIN number (that's Krazy Kanadian for 'social security number') but I don't figure they check them all the time because a friend of mine was too young and lied about his age, but they never bothered to find out.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 10:47:05 PM »
If you're like me and too scared to forge anything, then a utility bill is a decent initial breeder document. Another good initial item is one of those "gift-card" prepaid credit cards personalized with your name on it, except you pick a design that doesn't look like a gift card. You can use that to sign up for a class at a local community college, get a genuine ID, and then cancel the class and get a refund. I did that once and got a nice printed PVC photo ID, obviously not something I cooked up at home. That ID went pretty far.

There's a fancy name I read somewhere for when you build up your weaker ID into stronger ID. Like "tower of power" or something.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 10:49:40 PM »
If you're like me and too scared to forge anything, then a utility bill is a decent initial breeder document. Another good initial item is one of those "gift-card" prepaid credit cards personalized with your name on it, except you pick a design that doesn't look like a gift card. You can use that to sign up for a class at a local community college, get a genuine ID, and then cancel the class and get a refund. I did that once and got a nice printed PVC photo ID, obviously not something I cooked up at home. That ID went pretty far.

There's a fancy name I read somewhere for when you build up your weaker ID into stronger ID. Like "tower of power" or something.

Yeah I heard from Rambam's talk at HOPE that you can even forge the documents needed to get a passport at home. I've seen prepaid gift cards (VISA I think they were) but where would I go for a personalized one?

I'm more than able to make a great looking fake photocopy.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 10:59:08 PM »
I had found a site online that sold them, called them up to get order info, and sent them a money order. Google seems to have plenty of hits for "personalized gift card" so they're still around.

Offline M-26-7

• Skinniest Member of the PLA
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +40/-61
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 06:39:12 AM »
SIN number (that's Krazy Kanadian for 'social security number')
It's called a SIN number because Social Security is a form of Communism and Communism is a SIN!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 08:08:04 AM »
This thread has some fake ID info in it.  And that trumpet guy makes some really nice-looking IDs.  Someone on the forums ordered from him and told me that the ID was perfect.  So if you have a few hundred dollars to blow on a fake ID, you should email that guy.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 10:14:58 AM »
SIN number (that's Krazy Kanadian for 'social security number')
It's called a SIN number because Social Security is a form of Communism and Communism is a SIN!

You don't know how many times I've heard that...often seriously...

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »
Sadly I'm broke. Also, I'd like to try this on my own first before copping out. I'd like to see just how easy this is (if it's anything like how easy it is to get people to forward phones, give out info, ect., I'll probably cry over it).

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 01:41:03 PM »
If I try and rent an apartment with a fake name and SIN number, will the landlord actually take the time to check it?