Author Topic: Go ahead and smoke  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
Go ahead and smoke
« on: July 26, 2007, 07:23:30 PM »
I got the idea for this from a George Carlin routine. I want to get it made into an actual sign.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:50:45 PM by Raptor »
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Go ahead and smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:35:38 PM »
Be sure to hang them up in businesses.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »
I bought a bunch of metal stick on signs from the hardware store (push, pull, access denied, use other door, staff only, ect). I carry these with me at all times to spread a little chaos wherever I go. For example, inside bathroom stalls I stick 'use other door' so it's visible when you sit on the can (one stayed up in a Subway restaurant for 3 weeks before it was gone). The beauty of these is that since they look professional, nobody fucks with them since obviously the management put them there. Another good idea is to stick push on the pull doors and vice versa, or stick 'please use other door' on every door of a building.

Here in Manitoba, there's a near total ban on smoking pretty much everywhere (though most of us ignore it, much like the other laws we don't like). I'm thinking of getting a 'No smoking' sign, then meticulously modifying it to a green circled lit cigarette. Then, I'll put them up in some public places and watch for the results.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline nak

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »
I've wanted to get some "white" and "colored" official looking sticky signs made and put them above my old highschools drinking fountain before freshman orientation.

Just imagine :P

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »
A few weeks ago I saw a very professional-looking metal label on a bathroom hand dryer. It said:

1 Press Button
2 Wipe Hands On Pants
3 Say: This Thing Sucks

Years ago I saw a great label that was affixed above a urinal at eye level. It said "Bathroom camera is for research purposes only." I copied that one a few times on printed avery labels (changed to "loss-prevention purposes only" for retail stores) but they were never quite as professional looking.

Are there places that sell these things?

Offline Jersey

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »
Wow... seriously thinking about printing out a bunch of these to put on the gas pumps at work (I work at a gas station/convenience store). You'd be surprised how many morons will get out of their car with a lit cigarettes or cigar (or blunt) then get pissy when you tell them they gotta put it out... where they usually just throw it on the ground and step on it right next to a pump. Common sense not so common.
Aaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 06:42:58 PM »
Wow... seriously thinking about printing out a bunch of these to put on the gas pumps at work (I work at a gas station/convenience store). You'd be surprised how many morons will get out of their car with a lit cigarettes or cigar (or blunt) then get pissy when you tell them they gotta put it out... where they usually just throw it on the ground and step on it right next to a pump. Common sense not so common.

I was one of those morons when I was 16.  I made it a point to be smoking while I filled up my tank, just so the casher would yell at me.  I never really considered the dangers of it at the time.  Back then there was no YouTube to show me what happens to people who do that. 

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 07:00:57 PM »
Yeah, this would have been you

<a href="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=4656132603538108334" target="_blank">http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=4656132603538108334</a>

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:52:20 PM »
You should correct the glaring grammatical mistakes before you make these, assuming you made the sign itself. Condescending humor doesn't work when you're an idiot.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 10:45:24 PM »
Damn spell check made things worse than before... I guess I'll go back and change it, MR ENGLISH PROFESSOR.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 10:51:05 PM »
OH WHAT NOW?

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 04:22:07 AM »
OH WHAT NOW?

Did you even edit it?

Seriously, spellchecks are for idiots. Read more, learn to spell, and then check over it over yourself.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 05:11:10 AM »
I just took out the "ED" from Extinguished

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 11:39:37 PM »
Still tons of unnecessary commas.
You have two options. In one option, only the first and last comma are used. Since the rest of the sentence is completely free of lists and independent clauses, it could all be used as one sentence. Otherwise, you should divide up some of these lists into sentences. This would actually be preferred, since you start with a "first" but you never use a "second" or "following that" or any other prepositional phrase other than "then"; that, however, is pretty weak.

Secondly, you want to use city's filth, not cities filth. You want the imply ownership, not a plural noun.
Nicotine-stained should be hyphenated, though that could also be a matter of personal opinion.
No matter what, some of these commas should not be used. IE: "...until they are flushed out to sea with the rest of the city's filth..." is a clause by itself and should not, under any circumstances, have a comma dividing it. There's no reason to.

I know you want to create a run-on sentence, but this style of writing hasn't been popular since the turn of the 20th century, and, as such, I would not advise using it if you are unsure of how to properly divide independent and dependent clauses.

Offline M-26-7

• Skinniest Member of the PLA
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +40/-61
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 08:24:22 AM »
We need shaka-what ever in here to say something like:

"hahah ah hsadh voliecne"