Author Topic: Canada and Phreaking  (Read 4969 times)

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
Canada and Phreaking
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:06:51 AM »
Lo, this is my first post here, and though I've been doing a lot of reading into telephony and phreaking, I have never put any theory into practice.

Now, I live in Canada, and I'm wondering how that affects me as a wannabe phreak. I have two questions:
Is telephony substantially different between the US and Canada, and where the fuck are the TNI boxes?

Yes, thanks.

[Update]
I have put theory into practice.

[Update]
Ok, I've done my own research and snooping around now, and any newb phreaks from atlantic Canada might want to read this:

From what I can tell, Bell-Aliant builds their TNI boxes on the insides of houses, in strange places. Eastlink subscribers get new TNI boxes built on the outside of their houses, and so far these are the only practical phreakable boxes I have found.

The Eastlink TNI box is quite possibly the least secure "secure" anything I've ever seen. There are two panels to it:
  • On the right is the "customer access" panel, which has two modulation jacks by default, unless the user has purchased more than two telephone lines. To get into this box, you will need a pair of wire cutters and a 1/4" standard screwdriver. You can figure the rest out for yourself.
  • On the left is the "service access" panel. You need some kind of strange security screwdriver to open this normally (it is hexagonal with a cylindrical blocking piece in the centre). However, these boxes are made of such shitty plastic that you can open the customer panel, wedge your standard screwdriver under the service panel door and pop it open, although that might make a little more noise than unscrewing it.
The actual interfacing is no different than in America, so all your beigebox tutorials still hold true.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:29:23 AM by frog »
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-8
Re: Canada and Phreaking
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 10:57:53 AM »
frog, welcome to the forums! I'm very very glad to see someone asking a question like this.

Yes, the technology is a bit different. The phone system is fundamentally the same, but of course there are going to be different phone companies and different trunks, switches, telephone numbering plans, etc.

TNI. It stands for "telephone network interface". Think of an NIC, if you know what that is. The TNI is the box (usually outside of the house, if it's residential) that is the 'base' for the connection inside your home. It's basically where you wire your phones from through out the building. The other end connects to the nearby telephone lines, and thus gives you service.

TNI (credit to newtechnologyhome.com)

Telephone number. Not to repeat the obvious, but the format of a phone number here in the US is;

1+NPA+NXX+XXXX

I know you don't live in the US, but this is for other people who may. The NPA is the area code, the NXX is the exchange, and the XXXX is the last four digits of the NANP 7-digit local telephone number.

I know that it is different in Canada. See this for more information of telephone numbering plans for different countries.

PSTN. The public switched telephone network. The public telephone system.

War dialing. This is always fun to do, and very interesting if you discover something cool. You simply scan a range of telephone numbers (usually automated, though you can definitely do it manually) and see what you can find. There are all sorts of telephone numbers out there that you probably aren't even aware of. Milliwatts, test numbers, "backdoors", dynamic messages (ie; "Today's test color is [color]. The time is [time]. Current status is [on/off]."), teleconference bridges, private telco numbers, and much more.

Beige boxing. It is still 100% possible. I've seen people say it isn't, which is incredibly ignorant. The reason? As you may be able to tell, the entire idea of beige boxing is exploiting not the telephone network, but the physical security of a business or residential home. No matter what the telephone companies do, beige boxing will always exist. The least they can do is encourage their customers to protect their TNI boxes. This can be done by keeping them inside or putting a lock on them to prevent unauthorized tampering.

Red boxing. This little box emmits tones that trick the operator into believing that you have deposited coins. I don't know too much about where and when this works these days, but I believe that with certain pay phones it still does work (perferably older pay phones). I know in the US is it sort of rare for red boxing to work, not too sure about other parts of the world though. You may be able to social engineer a dumb op when doing this, but it all depends.

Blue boxing. Ah, my favorite type of boxing! There are still many places in the world that are running older telephony equipment that doesn't utilize something called CCIS (out of band signaling), despite what you may hear. I can ramble on about this forever, I think it is insanely interesting. Older (analog) equipment doesn't make use of two channels (one to communicate with other equipment (private) and the other to listen for voice (puiblic)) like newer equipment does. So you can basically "talk" to the trunk and make it seem like you are an operator, since your voice travels on the same channel. You can MF the trunk, play certain pairs of sound frequencies, and you'll manually override control over it. You can then do basically anything an operator can do! The sounds of the old analog systems are amazing to hear. It's addictive.

Something I posted on another website's forums:

"I want to clear a few things up. Lately I've seen a lot of confusion about what is still possible with phone phreaking and what isn't. Also, I haven't been active here very much lately (yeah sad, I'm the admin too!). I've been busy. I can't say specifically with what, but I think you get the idea.

Phone phreaking is still very possible, despite what "they" tell you.

The supposed last trunk to utilize MF signaling here in the US was replaced on June 15th, 2006. It was a N2 carrier. The exchange was (218)-488, which is in Wawina. I wasn't able try it out my self, since by the time I became aware of it it was too late, but I hear the amount of MFing into that trunk that occurred got so heavy that it started causing problems for that exchange.

I can tell you from experience that there are still so many neat little "tricks" you can play with in our phone system here in the US. It isn't nearly as dead as most people claim it to be. As technology changes, so do exploits. As long as you respect them and don't abuse them to a point where the telephone companies are getting mad, I don't think they will fade away that fast.

It's quite an amazing thing, really. All the little clicks. All the sounds. The unknown sounds intrigue the hacker mind. Just something about those analog sounds...

As for the future? I'm thinking voIP will probably get really big. But so what? That will bring a whole new era of phone phreaking, just you wait. Those of you who haven't had the chance to blue box or try anything cool, don't be disappointed. There are still so many things to explore.

Learn how the phone system works. Question everything. Experiment. And keep learning."

Dial-in's. This is a more recent form of phone phreaking. Dial-in's are basically modems that are hooked up to a computer. You can dial in (hence, "dial-in's") to the system using your own modem. The security of the system all depends on the service running that is awaiting remote connections. Generally, you usually will need to login. You can discover these by war dialing a certain range.

I've only explained a few things to get you started. There are still so many tricks that you can play around with in our phone system. Many people claim that phone phreaking is dead, but I think that's ignorance. I live in the US and I am still able to do a lot of things many claim to be impossible or dead. I'm sick of hearing that it's impossible; it isn't.

I really hope this helps. If you have any more questions at all, feel free to leave a message on my VMB. The number is +12069848523.

Tutorial written by Devilz212.

(Revised)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:23:04 PM by Devilz212 »

z09

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 12:06:08 PM »
The longest post here but you still didn't answer his question My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself..  </JOKING>

No there isn't that big of difference, having lived in Canada for five years, red box tones are diffrent and Social Engeneering is easier because of polite Canadaian nature but that is it. 

P.S. Good job Devilz, do you mind if I use your post as a tutorial in one of the forums I mod?  I will site your name and everything.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:08:14 PM by z09 »

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »
Haha, I know what you mean. I answered his question (very) briefly in the beginning, but I'm so fed up with ignorance against phone phreaking that I guess I sort of did more then just stay on that specific topic ;). And sure! I'd love to have it posted. Please don't link to my website, though. You can put "Devilz212" as my name and my VMB if you'd like. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:44:57 PM by Devilz212 »

z09

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 01:23:02 PM »
Okay it is posted at

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Phrequency/index.php?showtopic=24

become a member if you want.  We are just starting out.

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 01:38:59 PM »
Awesome! I'll join. I'll also be sure to tell people about it.

Also, a few typos I just fixed (In case you want to update that :D). Ugh, I'm so lazy at typing... Heh. "I know that it is different in the Canada." Now that's lazy typing...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 02:10:14 PM by Devilz212 »

z09

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 02:09:28 PM »
You know what go ahead and format how you want on phrequency and when you are done I will erase mine and pin yours up.  That way they will see you name.

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 02:11:18 PM »
Alright. :).