Author Topic: Wireless Networking question  (Read 3319 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Wireless Networking question
« on: December 18, 2007, 01:34:02 PM »
Dear Jammie,
My mom works out of her home, and one of the regulations for networking is that we can't use a wireless router or independent access point (with its own IP) on the network. We can, however, use Ad-Hoc (computer-to-computer) networking.
I tried to get around this problem by installing a wireless card on my parents computer (running Windows 2000) while it was hooked up via the LAN card so as to start an Ad-Hoc network. However, the computer recognizes the wireless card as another LAN card and says it can't connect because a cable is unplugged!
I have tried installing both a Buffalo Technologies Airstation Turbo (notebook USB card) and a D-Link WUA-2340 USB card, with the computer connected and disconnected from the Internet. Nothing works!

Is it just Windows 2000, is the computer too crappy, or do I just have really bad luck with network cards?

Thanks,
Matt

Offline gangals

• Merp?
  • PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-31
  • ummm cacti
    • http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1879/bagmanonfire4pb.jpg
Re: Wireless Networking question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »
Can she use an AP if it is on a different network then the 'work' system and the system cannot be addressable from the AP's network?

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »
It says "unplugged" because it's not connecting to anything. You'll have to configure the wireless card manually.   Windows 2000 has no nice interface for configuring wireless so you have to find the config screen and enter sids, channel numbers, etc. by hand or else install special software to make it easy for you (like hp wireless assistant).

Are you trying to share wired internet access over the wireless network? You'll have to turn on internet connection sharing and configure that as well.

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:30:40 AM »
Dear Jammie,
My mom works out of her home, and one of the regulations for networking is that we can't use a wireless router or independent access point (with its own IP) on the network. We can, however, use Ad-Hoc (computer-to-computer) networking.
I tried to get around this problem by installing a wireless card on my parents computer (running Windows 2000) while it was hooked up via the LAN card so as to start an Ad-Hoc network. However, the computer recognizes the wireless card as another LAN card and says it can't connect because a cable is unplugged!
I have tried installing both a Buffalo Technologies Airstation Turbo (notebook USB card) and a D-Link WUA-2340 USB card, with the computer connected and disconnected from the Internet. Nothing works!

Is it just Windows 2000, is the computer too crappy, or do I just have really bad luck with network cards?

Thanks,
Matt

Dear MattGSX,

Umm... I am too busy uh... haxing really really important much more complicated things to be able to answer your question.  Yeah, that's it.

But hopefully these other forum members can help you!

Love,
jammie

PS - I work in radio/music, I think I'd be better off answering something from your board than answering a computer question ;)  I have boys that do all that stuff for me!  :-*

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 05:33:06 PM »
It says "unplugged" because it's not connecting to anything. You'll have to configure the wireless card manually.   Windows 2000 has no nice interface for configuring wireless so you have to find the config screen and enter sids, channel numbers, etc. by hand or else install special software to make it easy for you (like hp wireless assistant).

Are you trying to share wired internet access over the wireless network? You'll have to turn on internet connection sharing and configure that as well.

Gay. I was hoping that wasn't the answer, because the card I really want to use (my shitty Buffalo one) has very spotty ad-hoc support.

To answer Gangal's question - There can be no WAP (with an IP) hooked up to our modem, whether it's on the same network or not. They don't have any regulations about Ad-Hoc, though, since there's no access point with a unique IP.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »
Well, I found a way around it. I just switched the system back to a barebones version of Windows XP and installed my new DS Wi-Fi adapter with an alternate driver (the Asus SoftAP), which I can just unplug when my mom needs to use the computer.
GREAT SUCCESS!