Author Topic: Cloak and Dagger (Greatest movie ever)  (Read 2266 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Cloak and Dagger (Greatest movie ever)
« on: January 07, 2008, 11:11:02 AM »
So I went to go rent a movie a few nights ago and noticed that my video store has a section for "new to DVD" movies, which is typically old movies brought back into print by the film company in an attempt to capture the old following or so they can no longer support older formats.

There was one movie on this shelf that caught my attention immediately and nearly made me have a hot orgasm in my pants. Cloak. And. fucking. Dagger.

Cloak and Dagger is one of those cheesy old early 80s movies that played on people's patriotism and fear of Communist spies. In it, there are two little kids. One is named Davey and the other is some bitchy girl. They have this pedophile, Atari-fiend friend Morris (who owns a gaming store) that helps Davey fuel his obsession for Cloak and Dagger, which is a tabletop RPG and (from the sound of things) a popular franchise. It fuels Davey's imagination to levels that his father considers unhealthy and that he gets in trouble for.

Well, one day, Davey sees REAL spies kill someone that gives him... AN ATARI CARTRIDGE! The Atari cartridge has a special microchip in it with secret military information that can only be accessed by getting a certain score after so many levels. In a race for the cartridge, those spies kill a shitload of people and try to hunt Davey down to get the Atari game back. To make things more fun, while this is all going on, Davey is getting help from Jack Flack (or Black... they actually say both in the movie!!), his childhood imaginary hero and model USA international spy.

If you've never seen this movie, I would totally recommend that you do at least once. It's extremely cheesy, and there's plenty of product placement, but it's a great gaming/nerd/spy movie all the same.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:07:09 PM by rbcp »

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
Re: Cloak and Dagger (Greatest movie ever)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
it is a fucking awesome movie i loved it as a kid.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:20:27 PM »
sweet. It was just while re-watching it last week that I noticed they use both Jack Flack and Jack Black (at least I'm pretty sure they do). Good old Artisian. I'm so glad they started re-releasing old betamax movies onto DVD

Offline johnnyhacker

• Telco 0wner
  • Post Whore
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-19
  • One plus the number means long distance!
    • The truth will always be rewritten into what others want, it happens to every one.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
it's like Cloak & Dagger in the back of my limousine
but you can watch as my finger fly a cross the keys... -Johnny Hacker Freestyle

Cloak & Dagger plus War Gamers, and Sneakers are my favorite movies of all time. I liked them, because in those times kids were fueled by RPG's and Atari 2600, the thought of a kid wanted for curiosity, able to do things that grown-ups thought was impossible; surely not gaining access into areas thats kids are not suppossed to.

Your signature will only be rewritten, along with your posts when you have not logged in for a while.

Offline Mace

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-3
  • can you hear this?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:04:50 AM »
I forgot all about that movie...don't even remember the last time I saw it...mid 80s probably.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 06:56:45 AM »
Sounds to me like you should watch it again, than. This is a movie that has HUGE nostalgia value if you've seen it before. I know people that have never seen it as kids and they usually don't like it now, but if you did get to experience the magic of childhood with Davey and Jack Flack, you need to remind yourself how great it was. 

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:58:16 AM »
I forgot all about that movie...don't even remember the last time I saw it...mid 80s probably.

me too
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »
Trevelyn sent me an mpeg of this movie a few months ago and I've watched it a few times and forced it upon my kids.  They liked it.  I used to watch it on cable often in the 80's.  I thought their giant walkie talkies were the coolest thing ever at the time, even though they're pretty laughable today.  I love how the whole movie seems like it was put out by the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce to showcase all the cool things around the city.  You've got the river walk, the Japanese gardens, the Alamo and other places that I've never heard of.

Offline Arox!

• please don't tickle me
  • PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-42
  • *Random Mike Tyson Quote*
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:02:07 AM »
If you have Comcast cable this is also on-demand in the free movie section.
L̬͙O͓Ḽ̼͔̭̯