Author Topic: Credit cards  (Read 2702 times)

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-28
Credit cards
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »
Is there anything you can do with the last four digits of a credit card?  Sorry if this is a noobish question, but I havent ever done anything with credit cards before.

Careful Nod.  He's just a very clever spambot. 

Your moms a spambot.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Re: Credit cards
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »
Call that person and tell them you're confirming the number for security purposes, if they are leery about this say that you have the last 4 as per your security protocol for verification, but your computer erased the rest because a hacker tried to steal the numbers, but don't worry because company XYZ takes good care of important customer information like that.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-28
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »
So nothing really short of SE?  I figured that it would be one of the only options, but I wasnt sure.

Careful Nod.  He's just a very clever spambot. 

Your moms a spambot.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:06:20 PM »
I worked with credit cards for a while (I took orders at a call center for a few years) and did a fair amount of research about that sort of thing and I never heard tell of any shenanigans to be had with those last four numbers specifically. Now if you were MISSING those last four, then there may be something doable...

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
I SEed someone's account a long time ago and to verify that I was really "me" I had to tell them the last 4 digits of my credit card number on file with them.  So I called back the company and got them to tell ME the last 4 of the credit card.  Then I called back and gave it back to them.  So I guess the last 4 could be used to verify an identity.  I can't really think of any companies that would verify that way though.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 05:25:42 PM »
Yeah that was my basic idea, I'm sure if you made it sound convincing it'd work on some people.