Author Topic: Who is going to Defcon?  (Read 19641 times)

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
Re: Who is going to Defcon?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 05:00:26 AM »
you lucky bastards.. i wish i had the dough to go to one of those "defcon" thingamajigs.

Offline notlist3d

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »
Just saw this on the front page "Defcon is a fun environment for all ages where you can make explosives, trash hotel rooms, stab hookers and drink until you die of alcohol poisoning".  I must have  been missing out in past years i have went i have not got to do any of these things yet  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:22:28 PM by notlist3d »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »
I just wanted to see if the Defcon Legal Team would yell at us as they've done in the past.

Offline evilgold

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-1
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2009, 12:14:48 PM »
 Is there a similar situation like HOPE at defcon with people just sleeping in tents/cots and on the floor instead of getting a room. I've never been to defcon but at the last 2 HOPE's i didnt get a room and just hung out on the floors the entire time. They even had nice cots setup at the last 2, which seemed like they where pretty much encouraging it. If its similar at defcon then i'm going for sure. I rarely sleep at cons anyway.

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +60/-38
  • Awkward Hugs for everyone!
    • rogueclown.net
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »
i'm a definite yes for Defcon.  :D

Is RTF going?  We'll have to get together for some sort of evil adventure.  RijilV will probably be around too and I'm hoping he'll lend me some floor space.

as far as i know, RTF's on the fence about it, but i am going to use my Evil RogueClown Powers to convince him that Defcon will be a good idea, and that he totally wants to go to Defcon with me.  ;-)
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 11:09:04 AM »
as far as i know, RTF's on the fence about it, but i am going to use my Evil RogueClown Powers to convince him that Defcon will be a good idea, and that he totally wants to go to Defcon with me.  ;-)

Tell him I'll buy him a grape Kool-aid if he shows up!  That should entice him!

Cots at Defcon?  I've never seen any there, but maybe I just don't look hard enough.  Sounds like a really useful idea though.  I sure wouldn't mind sleeping on a cot to offset Defcon's retarded cool electronic badge fee.  I think it was $130 for the badge last year, wasn't it?  I sold my badge on Ebay a week later and got about $30 - $40 of that back.  Screw momentos and useless electronics, I want cheap, ugly, paper badges.

Offline notlist3d

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
130 sounds about right it was either 120 or 130 i cant rember its been so long.  I personally have not seen cots laying around, i doubt they would let you do in the riv halls or anywhere (would work if you can find someone who would let you put it in thier room).

Offline Idontlikerabbits

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Newb
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 11:24:28 PM »
I'm thinking of attending, all id have to do is save up enough for the badge and alcohol for the weekend. It's only two hours from home and I've got some free hotel nights that I can use at a motel right around the corner from the Riviera. I'd have plenty of floor space and most likely an extra bed. Also I'd be driving from LA/OC area if anyone is up to share a ride.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 06:59:08 AM »
I'd like to attend but I'm not sure if I'd be able to find a room. But the room aside I've never been to a hacker con before. Sure, I've attended a few comic cons, anime conventions and even a bizarre cooking convention showing off all sorts of odds and ends of the cooking world. You aren't hardcore until you've used a spatula that is designed SPECIFICALLY for hamburgers.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm an ass and really couldn't tell what was so special about that spatula. It was seven years ago. Might of been drugged.

Regardless, I want to attend and being my first con I just wouldn't know where to start. Someone tell me if it's worth spending the cash and showing up.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 08:25:22 AM »
Regardless, I want to attend and being my first con I just wouldn't know where to start. Someone tell me if it's worth spending the cash and showing up.

I've never felt ripped off after attending a con, even after paying Defcon's insane entrance fee.  It's always a fun, hackerish atmosphere where you get to pick locks, play on networks, browse the giant merchandise room and listen to boring talks.  Best of all you meet people from the PLA Forums.  How can you go wrong with that?  You didn't get to meet people from the PLA Forums at your cooking convention, did you?  I didn't think so.

Come to Defcon, where PLA forum members will smother you with uncomfortable hugs and kisses!

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 08:57:24 AM »
Don't forget about the drugs. So much drugs all fucking weekend.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 10:08:51 AM »

I've never felt ripped off after attending a con, even after paying Defcon's insane entrance fee. 

Couldn't you just sneak into Defcon like you did Shmoocon?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 10:37:23 AM »
Couldn't you just sneak into Defcon like you did Shmoocon?

I didn't have much choice at Shmoocon since I wasn't one of the lucky few to purchase a badge.  My original plan at Shmoo was to just borrow someone's badge to get past the door person, then send their badge out with someone else.  I only ended up having to do that once, though, since we found the back entrance. 

I miss the good ole days when I couldn't believe Defcon was raising the price from $40 to $80.

Offline RijilV

• :)
  • PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +30/-7
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 08:05:26 PM »
Is RTF going?  We'll have to get together for some sort of evil adventure.  RijilV will probably be around too and I'm hoping he'll lend me some floor space.

Shoot, I'll even come on here and post saying I'm going.  Haven't gotten the plane tickets yet, but I'll be there for sure.

Its a non-HOPE year, so the turnout should be pretty big.

.r'
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
:() { :|:& };:

Offline evilgold

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 06:08:13 AM »
You didn't get to meet people from the PLA Forums at your cooking convention, did you?  I didn't think so.

So when is the next annual PLA Forums cook off anyway?