Author Topic: Book with Frank Abagnale Siggy  (Read 3599 times)

MelloKira

Book with Frank Abagnale Siggy
« on: July 12, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
Hey, this isn't for sell or anything, but because it involves the exchanging of money for items, I thought I'd post it here. Anyway, as you can see from the picture below, I have acquired an edition of the book Catch Me If You Can signed by Frank Abagnale (who is like, my total hero and whatnot). So how did I achieve such an amazing feat? Did I rob a bank, blackmail the President, or sell my soul to the devil? Surprisingly, no. It only cost me $5. This is really weird because Albert Einstein and Nikola Tesla are also my total heros. The strange thing is, I couldn't find Tesla's signature anywhere, and the cheapest I could find a good Einstein one was around $500. So why the hell is Abagnale's so effin cheap? I mean, I still love the book and I don't feel ripped off or anything, but is this name written on a piece of paper in 1982 even worth anything? Please, let me know your thoughts. ;)

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Re: Book with Frank Abagnale Siggy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:13:50 AM »
Between jobs a fun thing to do is print off famous people's signatures off the internet and write them on things to sell. If you can steal napkins from a truck stop and a pen from the bank you can pull this off, so it's all profit.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:36:14 AM »
People pay insane amounts of money for signed books on Ebay.  Especially if the author is dead.  And how would they know if the signature is real?  What if you found an old book in a used book store and it had the "author's" signature on it?  Look how much Hunter S. Thompson's signature is worth.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
Anybody stupid enough to pay two grand for something just because a famous person signed it deserves to be ripped off. Anyway, the average person will never even find out he was duped and will live out his life in happy ignorance and if you're lucky maybe your forgery will be passed down through the generations as a family treasure!

I'm sure Hunter would find that at least as funny as I do.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »
Anyone who spends serious time poking through book bins will find shitloads of signed crap. I've only ever heard of one decent find from a fellow garbage digger, a signed Harry Truman something-or-other that he claimed to have sold for $1500. I've found hundreds of other signed things that are utterly worthless.

They have do have worth if you get a kick out of them though, and if you find them yourself then there's little reason to suspect forgery. For instance, I have my very own signed copy of Matthew Leskos "Free Money From the Government" that I cherish. That feeling that he's right here in the page, jumping up and down maniacally just for me is worth both of the dollars that I paid.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
I need to spend a day in a used book store, signing fake autographs in books.

"To my biggest fan!  -Jesus"

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 05:40:14 PM »
I used to put "Autographed Copy" stickers on the bibles when I worked the stockroom at a B Dalton, but nobody ever really noticed or seemed to care.