Author Topic: [Livejournal Post] I'm getting married!  (Read 5218 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
[Livejournal Post] I'm getting married!
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:41:42 PM »
I don't have a blog, so I'm sorry if I use the general discussion forum as my own personal livejournal. Maybe if I do this enough, I'll get another sub-forum.

I'm getting married in June. I haven't actually bought a ring yet, but we've set a date with our church, started pre-marital counciling, and all that fun stuff. I guess we just figured that by delaying the engagement, we'll minimize the amount of parental meddling that usually goes on with marriages.

I'll probably be posting a whole lot less, and I'll never make good on my promises to finally go to a 'con, but I wanted to be able to tell 'my friends', and by 'my friends', I mean a group of random strangers who barely know me, and won't start harassing my girlfriend (I'll call her that until we decide to involve our families) with all the stupid female gushing shit.

[/livejournal]

Offline greenhippo33

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +8/-9
Re: [Livejournal Post] I'm getting married!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »
congrats

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »
Pics? ....Pics?

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:09:27 PM »
Congratulations and stuff. Didn't know there were counseling courses you had to take before a marriage.

How long have you two been together?

/pryintopersonallife

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »
I hope you don't turn into El_Gordo_Uno and start being an even bigger douchebag and then never coming online at all to be a douchebag.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »
Congratulations and stuff. Didn't know there were counseling courses you had to take before a marriage.

That surely comes from the church, what with the higher divorce rates among religious people

Offline z3wb

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +37/-36
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
Welcome to the end of your social life.
Huh?

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:48:42 PM »

How long have you two been together?

/pryintopersonallife

Some states change the cost and other bullshit associated with a marriage license depending on if you seek a form of pre-marital counciling. For us, our pastor actually requires it before he'll officiate a service, and since I can't see anyone else marrying us, I'm happy to go through it. We've been together 4 1/2 years now, and will be a little over 5 after the wedding.

I hope you don't turn into El_Gordo_Uno and start being an even bigger douchebag and then never coming online at all to be a douchebag.

Hasn't affected it yet. I'm already rarely online @ night, so it mostly just means that any posting/lurking moar that I do will be done at work. Sorry, but I'll probably have better shit to do @ home, like making children and stuff.

That surely comes from the church, what with the higher divorce rates among religious people

Again, it depends on the state. WI, as far as I know, doesn't require it for obtaining a marriage license, but it does cut down on the wait time. As far as the "religious people" thing goes, it's really sad that so many people in the church get married before they're emotionally ready to commit their lives to someone, but most of the "religious" people that get divorced usually aren't at all devout, see church as a free country club, and care more about the Christian lifestyle than they do the Christian faith. I'm not going to get into that, however.

Welcome to the end of your social life.

What social life? The term "Friends and Family" is pretty redundant for me, as most of my close friends are also family, and others are people I'm connected to through either school, work, or "the church" (including ministry stuff I'm involved in). As cool as some users are on the forums, I don't consider this my social life. If marriage means that I'll go to bed an hour or two earlier than I usually do alone, I'm not too worried about it. We've been planning this for the last year or so; we've just recently started all the planning, which is why it's more real for me than it has been prior.

Pics? ....Pics?

Sorry, but not anytime soon. If we take digital stills of the ceremony and/or reception, I MIGHT upload them.

congrats

I don't know you, but thank you!

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:51:35 PM »
MAZELTOV! Sucker...
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline nova

• El Fireman
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +25/-83
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »
Will you still hate me after the wedding?

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:31:49 AM »
most of the "religious" people that get divorced usually aren't at all devout

That goes for anything bad. Those people who did something bad, they aren't real christians.

Congratulations on getting married, by the way.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 09:56:26 AM »
Thank you. I disagree that "doing something bad" doesn't make you a real Christian. I use the term for myself, not because of any religious ceremony or affiliation, but because of my faith in Christ. In general, I dislike the concept of religion and ceremony. In general, however, the "church" (the popular church) is mostly built upon religious ceremony and a sort of wishy-washy feel-good experience. The other end is built of negative extremists who try to use their faith as a weapon to attack unbelievers and try to shame them into changing their ways.

As a human, I fall, stumble, and sin. So do many others. I'm not saying that "true believers" don't have problems like addictions, divorce, etc, etc, because they definitely do. It's not because of a lack of faith; it's the human condition. I'm just saying that people who live by faith are more likely to try intervention and counciling to help get through their issues than people who see their "religion" as a place to go on Sunday and a God to pray to when shit hits the fan.

A big part of it is our American concept of marriage, too. Too many people in the states think that "love" is just an emotion, and don't realize the effort you have to put in to actively love someone. It takes quite a bit to love someone despite their shortcomings, and to support them (financially, emotionally, physically, etc, etc) through the best and worst of their lives. Once that giddy, fresh glow of a relationship wears off, a lot of people don't realize continued feelings of true love depend more on how you treat your partner and how you regard your partner than how they treat you. The church (as a broad body, not the Roman Catholic church) generally uses counciling like I'm going through to teach couples to love each other by action, and not by emotion, and to weed out those who honestly aren't emotionally ready for the amount of devotion to a partner that it takes for a successful marriage.

That having been said, I will make an effort to never again start such a conversation.

Nova, I'm fairly sure I don't hate you, so I don't see why I would still hate you next summer. You annoy me less than most people I know in real life, so you're cool by my book.

Offline liife

• PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +8/-5
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
tl;dr
It looks like you got hit in the face with that egg and you want to eat it too.

Offline ErrorLoading

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +15/-4
    • ErrorLoading.Net
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »
I knew my wife was the right one the moment I cleveland steam'ed her.
"If I have enough then you may not have one."

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »
That having been said, I will make an effort to never again start such a conversation.

And last post you said "I'm not going to get into that" but then you did! The higher divorce rate thing was barely even statistically significant. But you're a sucker for internet religion debate and now I know your secret weakness that will keep you posting after marriage!