Author Topic: Why are copy machines so expensive now?  (Read 3869 times)

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
Re: Why are copy machines so expensive now?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 06:45:56 AM »
Why are copy machines so expensive? The prices have come down, if anything, for what you get now as opposed to earlier machines.

The first copy machine  I ever used took about 35 seconds to process one single page. It was hot, energy intensive and it jammed about every 10th page. It did nothing but copy in black and white. Toner had to be replaced monthly.

That machine cost around $4,000.00

My current machine has yet to jam, primarily because it scans each page only once and prints from memory. It is a network device which lets me scan pages and save them as files on my PC, as well as act as a network printer. It also can be used as a fax machine. Toner lasts about a year and a half.

It cost about $3,400.00.

The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 06:59:56 AM »
I remember being able to make color copies in the school library for ten cents in sixth grade. That would be about 1995 or 96.
You were in the sixth grade in '96? That makes me feel so old...

yeah, seriously!  i started high school in '96!

At least that's closer... I graduated in '96... same year I saw Ozzy in concert... same year I reprogrammed the copy machine in the local post office (kyocera ... I still remember the code) to make copies for free.

It wasn't a gibson, but it was a great hack for its time... especially when I discovered it made perfect 1:1 b&w copies of $5 bills which just so happened to work in our school's break room...
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 07:43:10 AM »
I remember being able to make color copies in the school library for ten cents in sixth grade. That would be about 1995 or 96.
You were in the sixth grade in '96? That makes me feel so old...

yeah, seriously!  i started high school in '96!

At least that's closer... I graduated in '96... same year I saw Ozzy in concert... same year I reprogrammed the copy machine in the local post office (kyocera ... I still remember the code) to make copies for free.

It wasn't a gibson, but it was a great hack for its time... especially when I discovered it made perfect 1:1 b&w copies of $5 bills which just so happened to work in our school's break room...

I celebrated my 5th birthday in '96. This is actually the earliest year I remember before goddamn Pokemon started taking over my life.

Incidentally, this is also around the time me and a friend would spend our church services drawing--yes drawing, as in with crayons and stuff--fake money. Pretty soon we amassed a collection of "counterfeit" bills, only to realize that soda machines are not that stupid. My friend committed suicide soon afterwards, realizing his life's work had been a waste.

RIP JOHNNY
1991-1996

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »
My current machine has yet to jam, primarily because it scans each page only once and prints from memory. It is a network device which lets me scan pages and save them as files on my PC, as well as act as a network printer. It also can be used as a fax machine. Toner lasts about a year and a half.

It cost about $3,400.00.

Geez, that's a lot of money.  Mine was $500, which I thought was kind of pricey.  Mine does all the stuff yours does, including wireless networking, but it's an ink jet.  I like that it scans things into a memory card that I leave in it all the time, which I can access from any computer on the network.  It also does 2-sided printing, which saves paper.

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »
The current machine is a Kyocera KM-2550; the first one was a Toshiba, but I'll be damned if I remember what model number it was. I should mention that when I said "the first copy machine I ever used" that I was about 6 at the time. I was making copies of the labels on 5.25in floppy disks.

I wonder if I destroyed them with the intense heat that thing generated?
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »
Mine was about $400 and it's laser. I'll never buy an inkjet ever again. I replace toner maybe once every 5000 pages for like 50 bucks. And if I don't print anything for a week or two and it gets dusty I don't have to use 10 bucks worth of ink for the financial rape they call "self cleaning".