Author Topic: Recording Phone Calls  (Read 2772 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Recording Phone Calls
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:09:12 AM »
We all know there's laws about recording phone calls.  In most states, you have to tell the person you're recording that you are recording them, but the laws vary from state to state.  This page has a nice rundown of all the laws. 

I'm curious about this, though - if it's illegal to record phone calls without telling the other party on the line, then how are wacky morning DJs able to prank call random people live on the air?  Don't radio stations record everything that's broadcast?  Like the MJ Morning Show where MJ loves to call and harass celebrities and people from news stories.  Every once in awhile MJ goes on vacation and they play some "best of" material, which consists of some of the funnier moments of recent shows.  This proves that they're taping everything, hoping to get more "best of" material.  I'm sure all DJs do this.  So how are they getting away with this?

Also, let's assume that they aren't recording their own shows and that they're simply prank calling people on the air.  What if I record their show from my home while they're pranking somebody?  Am I breaking the law then?  If I were to put up a recording of a phone call that I heard on a radio show on my website, could I be arrested for recording without consent?

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
Re: Recording Phone Calls
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »
There was one Radio DJ in Chicago that addressed this issue. Some old woman called in one day and went on a rant of how he shouldn't prank people because it was illegal and blah blah blah and he came back with:

"Listen lady, this is CHICAGO, murder capitol of America. The police don't care about some stupid prank calls."

Best. Line. Ever.

So maybe they ARE breaking the law, but they just don't really care. Besides, I guess the police would only get involved if somebody they pranked filed a report, and that probably doesn't happen all too often.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
There was one Radio DJ in Chicago that addressed this issue...

It was Mancow, wasn't it?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »

Duh.  Isn't he the only DJ that's ever existed in Chicago?

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:55:51 PM »
Duh.  Isn't he the only DJ that's ever existed in Chicago?

You forgot that I'm from Chicago.  :'( You know, I'm getting the feeling you don't care about me anymore, rbcp.