Author Topic: The end of The Pirate Bay as we know it?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
The end of The Pirate Bay as we know it?
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:32:28 AM »
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-sold-to-software-company-goes-legal-090630/

According to gaming company Global Gaming Factory X, it is in the the process of acquiring The Pirate Bay for $7.8m (SEK 60 million). The acquisition is scheduled to be completed by August and will see the site launch new business models to compensate content providers and copyright owners.
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
Re: The end of The Pirate Bay as we know it?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:07:48 PM »
And I feel fine.

The Pirate Bay was great while it lasted, but one single torrent site will never be as important again.  The big ones all cross-index each other's stuff nowadays, so stuff is easy to find.

The whole scene is decentralizing, which is really as it should be; think of all the lengths, expense, and PR suicide the powers that be had to go to to kill The Pirate Bay, and imagine them having to do the same again to each and every one of the top dozen or so other torrent sites, and then watching with horror as each of their "victories" result in a handful of new sites popping up to fill the gaps left by the old ones.

The traditional entertainment industry really is screwed until they find a way to update their business model to reflect technological and social realities.
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |