Author Topic: XBAND  (Read 6027 times)

Offline MoeThirteen

• Party Van Driver
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-1
XBAND
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:29:22 AM »
A guy in another forum I'm in posted he found a peripheral used to go online with the SNES and when he linked to the Wiki I noticed something in the "Service Issues" section that may intrigue some of you.

I never remember anything like this for the SNES, but I do remember SEGA had a channel through my cable company for a while.

Link to the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBAND
The lurker with an account formally known as "Party Van"

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
Re: XBAND
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:32:43 PM »
Sega Channel was a whole different animal.  While Xband was basically Xbox Live's great-granddaddy, a BBS-type deal with multiplayer, messaging, etc. Sega Channel was just an avenue to download games to your console via cable broadcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel

Both ideas were hopelessly before their time, and subsumed once the Internet took over.
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |

Offline MoeThirteen

• Party Van Driver
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-1
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »
So basically the SEGA channel was what you get in hotels now. Neat for the SEGA fans of the time, but yeah playing over the internet killed both.
The lurker with an account formally known as "Party Van"

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:54:15 AM »
No kidding Sega Channel was ahead of its time. My friend had it back when we were in 6th grade. We would spend HOURS going through all the games that seemed like a vast and infinite space to beheld by two 11 year old. When I first heard of the XBAND as a kid it totally blew my mind. Granted my parents wouldn't get it for me, but I begged for it a load after I saw your high scores would be published in Game Pro if you nailed 'em high enough.

I miss my youth.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:25:47 AM »
Nintendo had their own, similar system, as well, but it was only available in Japan through the Famicom modem.

Offline xband411

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »
The Xband was great.  The competition was fierce both locally in my city and nationwide.

The best thing was that we were able to bum free long distance calling off of Catapult (the company that made Xband).  When you connected to the service, it would dial a 1-800 number.  Then, the modem would enter a 15 digit number to validate itself.  We'd record the number on VHS, translate the beeps into their corresponding numbers via hacked Skytel voicemail boxes, and call our friends all over the country on Catapult's dime.  I really hope that didn't add to the company's demise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwYb0Gdq4iI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avOT8lk8K10
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:57:03 PM by xband411 »

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
The Xband was great.  The competition was fierce both locally in my city and nationwide.

The best thing was that we were able to bum free long distance calling off of Catapult (the company that made Xband).  When you connected to the service, it would dial a 1-800 number.  Then, the modem would enter a 15 digit number to validate itself.  We'd record the number on VHS, translate the beeps into their corresponding numbers via hacked Skytel voicemail boxes, and call our friends all over the country on Catapult's dime.  I really hope that didn't add to the company's demise.
Hah, that is wild!  I totally wanted one of these back then, but I never imagined they'd have been useful for phreaking purposes.
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |