Author Topic: Have any of you gents ever been to Los Angeles?  (Read 6512 times)

Offline spessa

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +15/-3
  • Hey Asshole!
Re: Have any of you gents ever been to Los Angeles?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
I'd have shitloads of input on this topic but you're only asking gents, you sexist fuck.

GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN, BITCH!

I never LEAVE the kitchen!  I know my place.

Offline shai

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-2
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 04:14:11 PM »
I grew up in LA...in the Valley, as a matter of fact.

-- Should I bring a car? Right now mine is dead. I don't want to buy a new one, and my friend said I could ride there with him. I'm thinking that, because it's a big city, I could find a job within walking (or bus-ride) distance. If I can avoid owning a car all togeather, that would be a tremendous money-saver.

You will definitely need a car- preferably one with good gas mileage, an automatic tranny (LA traffic will kill your clutch in nothing flat) and AC since you're in a desert. Public transit in LA is slowly getting better but it's maddening if you're used to being able to actually get places via bus/train in a timely fashion.

-- How hard is it to get a job? A tech job or minimum-wage, it doesn't really matter, but you can probably guess which one I'd prefer. I also plan on taking college courses (possibly online), will that help?

Jobs are tough to come by all over CA right now (I'm in the Bay Area), so I'd start looking at Craigslist now and try to get in where you fit in. As far as schools, there's a ton of them to choose from. Will it help you get a job? No clue.

-- Any areas I should avoid? I think we'll be moving in the San Fernando Valley region, pretty close to Universal City. Is that a bad or a good place to live? Also... Are there any gang-related colors I should avoid wearing? Am I being too paranoid? :D

Common sense applies. If you look like you don't belong where you're at and/or act shook about it, then there's the chance someone MIGHT say something. If you dress like a hood around hoods, they'll probably say something. As far as getting jacked in broad daylight, it's pretty unlikely unless you hang out in bad parts of town. Universal City is not too bad, but the Valley in general kind of sucks. Disclaimer- I'm biased since I lived there for most of my childhood. The Valley is hot, flat, smoggy, and very prefab looking. There's not a lot of character to speak of, but it's cheap and there's some good Mexican restaurants there.

Unless you're Mexican or black I wouldn't worry about the color thing. Just avoid wearing red or blue bandannas in sketchy areas.

-- And on a lighter note: What are some fun things to do while I'm there? Besides gawk at the celebrities and the shiny lights, that is.

Let's see...anywhere in Hollywood, the Getty Museum, Venice Beach for people watching and Malibu for the beach, Griffith Park for the zoo, observatory and scenery, the Angeles National Forest for hiking, Olvera Street, Chinatown, the La Brea tar pits, Beverly Hills and Westwood are all good starting points. LA is HUGE, and there's a whole lot of nothing out there (tract houses and strip malls) in between the good stuff. The best thing to do is make friends or get a native to tote you around.

Thanks! :)

No sweat.
Early time machines were designed to leave you screaming on the end of a dinosaur's leash.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
I ate cheeseburgers with Slyvester Stallone at Planet Hollywood tonight after seeing The Wild Thornberries movie at Han's Chinese Theater. I'm going up to Sacremende to Governor Schwartzenegger's vacation home for polo and Macanudos.

My rating for California: 6/10

Offline CK

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Master
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-47
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 10:10:54 AM »
That writeup was really informative. You should convince him LA is a vast wasteland and move to the Bay Area instead, trust me.
But do you have ample parking? That is the question.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »
Thanks, Shai. :)
+1

Offline bestialbub

• bubba
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 10:15:07 PM »
la is a POS.  if you drive around it, DO NOT EVEN DRIVE INTO THE PARKING GARAGES.  My experience of LA is forever tainted by the parking garage staff of the wells fargo in LA (went there by solicitation from microsoft for a free show at their office).  Those parking garage bitches charge you for DRIVING IN THE DAMNED GARAGE.  BY THE MINUTE.  Yeah, those worthless parking bitches will look at you with a shit eating grin if you make the mistake of being an out of towner going into one, and then opting to park your vehicle instead of choosing valet.  They send you down/up level by packed level, with every level costing you another buck or 2 a minute driving till you rack up a 7 bucks or more just to find out the bitches might charge you 40 bux to park, so you don't park and drive out instead just to be held prisoner at the stupid waiting pole/toll booth with no means of escape without the bitch raising the bar to let you out.  Then you go and threaten the bitch, the staff and everyone they know, and the next thing you know you're surround by security staff and your pregnant wife is begging the supervisor to let her go out to an atm to get the damn 7 bux the bitches are asking for just to let you drive out before your crazy husband gets you both arrested.  Then being directed by said security bitches to a corner out of the way and having to lock yourself in with the shades up hoping no1 requires you to get out of your vehicle because your palming a massive knife stuck in the seat that you'd seriously like to slash the supervisor's face with..

long story short, don't goto l.a. city

goto the beach instead, its alot safer

if you're worried about crazy outta towners like me..  ;)
-rubberducky

Offline bestialbub

• bubba
  • Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 10:18:29 PM »
^^ - tried meds and therapy after that incident.

thats all she wrote.
-rubberducky

Offline Phrank

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-6
  • The UGLY one!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »
If you keep your car, it's best that it's a shitty one with an overly sensitive alarm system; fancy cars around here never stand a chance once you park the thing and leave it alone to get mauled by passerbys. If you have a GPS, hide that thing under the seat or better yet, just use your phone as a GPS if you really need directions. Just never leave anything valuable in your car; it WILL get stolen. Paranoia exisists for a reason.

long story short, don't goto l.a. city
goto the beach instead, its alot safer
That is true, but it is INSANELY expensive to live near the beach in L.A., although having more room mates could make that managable.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »
bestialbub was surprised by how parking garages work?

Offline bestialbub

• bubba
  • Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
yup.  my silly assumption was that you paid to park.  didn't know you were charged for driving in, asking the price and driving out without parking because it wasn't worth it.

fuck la.

i'm a small town kinda guy.

sidenote: coincidentally the la county sheriffs paced me all the way out of the county.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:35:20 AM by bestialbub »
-rubberducky

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »
i am shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, that you had to pay to enter a pay lot.

Offline bestialbub

• bubba
  • Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »
well, here in beantown, when theres events and venues actually decide to start charging to park, its like 5-10 bux max, like a parking permit for the beach.  never considered some1 charging you a prorated hourly rate for the luxury of driving into a parking garage and finding out its 40 bux to park and higih tailing it out at the sound of the price to be caught at a security/rape point at the exit to be extorted out a fee for the luxury of driving into an overpriced garage.  no1 offered me a service, as i didn't rent a space in the parking garage.

but yeah, its fun to get the last post.  keep baitin' me, i'll keep responding.  ;)

* bestialbub jumps on linear's back for an unwilling piggy back ride!

uNF!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:30:39 PM by bestialbub »
-rubberducky

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »
i'm sorry, i'm STILL just shocked that you had to pay to enter a garage that is pay-to-enter. i didn't mean to be "baiting" you.

::)

Offline bestialbub

• bubba
  • Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »
i like bananas.  :nonsense:
-rubberducky

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 08:06:31 PM »
i win