Author Topic: PhoneLosers of America DS  (Read 10888 times)

Offline Phrank

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-6
  • The UGLY one!
Re: PhoneLosers of America DS
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 09:57:35 AM »
AVGN must play this game.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 12:10:13 PM »

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »
Trevelyn, you are awesome.
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
Technical support question...

I have a DS lite with a 4GB "Max Media Player" HDD that fits into the GBA slot. This thing stores the homebrew, obviously.

(Here it is: http://kotaku.com/169737/best-buy-selling-ds-harddrive)

But for some reason, although the audio works on all my other homebrew stuff, it doesn't work on the Phone Losers application-- AKA: A game that relies almost entirely on tones and sounds.

This is like playing Dance Dance Revolution without the dancing.  :-\

Any help?

Offline PoopskinTheLiar

• Potential Phone Loser and Computer/Retrocomputer Nerd
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-5
  • ...Is hardly Leet at all
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
And who says red and blue boxen dont work anymore??! :P 

I thought they stopped working as of ESS gaining widespread adoption?

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »

depends on where you are, actually as long as ACTS gets on the phone you are alright, and some countries cant afford newer switches :P

The Max Media Dock is a piece of junk man, i'm sorry.  The sounds are like 11kbps, so they should play no matter what.  I can edit the webpage for the PLADS game with your information, which i thank you for, but i'm sorry if the MMD doesn't play the sounds :( :( :(  I'd recommend the AceKard 2i, R4, or M3 Real. :)

============

I just added a music portion that you can click on in the homescreen to listen to PLA songs from here:
http://www.phonelosers.org/songs/

g0d0t, tomorrow I will add DTMF to your app and to the PLA DS game too, like i said the tones wont be so great coming from the DS speakers, maybe try a nice big set of headphones (when using Project MF of course!) and if you still talk to Phiber tell him i said "hi."  Maybe I can make them one too.. but it won't be as cool as the PLA one as we have more to offer!  :D <3 PLA

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 01:48:48 PM »

This is the music part...  I'll probably have little "play" buttons on the side of each title and the "stop playing" command too.  ohh, and if you have headphones on you can close the lid and it still plays! :D

PALIB 4 THE WIN.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:53:06 PM by trevelyn »

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »

Blue boxing is pretty much dead, and has been for some time now. You can really only do in in controlled setups now, like Project MF. You may still find some systems out there, but they are few and far between.

However, red boxing still works in many places as far as I know. I last successfully did it a few years ago. Those tones are how those payphones report that coins were inserted, and they would have to upgrade all the old payphones to fix it. However, payphones have been disappearing, and I hear some telephone companies no longer allow long distance by coin on payphones anymore.

Technical support question...

I have a DS lite with a 4GB "Max Media Player" HDD that fits into the GBA slot. This thing stores the homebrew, obviously.

(Here it is: http://kotaku.com/169737/best-buy-selling-ds-harddrive)

But for some reason, although the audio works on all my other homebrew stuff, it doesn't work on the Phone Losers application-- AKA: A game that relies almost entirely on tones and sounds.

This is like playing Dance Dance Revolution without the dancing.  :-\

Any help?

That "Max Media Player" is not really a good cart for homebrew. I recommend getting something better, but if you don't want to, make sure you have the the latest update intsalled for your card. See http://us.codejunkies.com/mpds/index.htm

PLADS apparently works on Trevelyn's Acekard and my CycloDS Evolution. The M3 and R4 are also great carts that would probably work. I have used both of them (they are practically the same), and I would definitely recommend them, but I can't be sure PLADS works since I no longer have either.
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 02:27:19 PM »
The Max Media Dock is a piece of junk man, i'm sorry.
That "Max Media Player" is not really a good cart for homebrew.

It's cool, I'll just get something better. The AceKard looks pretty spiffy, by the way.

Also, I found a bug in the cactus game. When the sun is getting too close, you can let go of the cactus and tap anywhere on the screen and the sun will follow. If you fix this problem, then add a clock to show how long you've lasted, with the ability to save your high score, it would actually make a pretty fun little game.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »
The Max Media Dock is a piece of junk man, i'm sorry.
That "Max Media Player" is not really a good cart for homebrew.

It's cool, I'll just get something better. The AceKard looks pretty spiffy, by the way.

Also, I found a bug in the cactus game. When the sun is getting too close, you can let go of the cactus and tap anywhere on the screen and the sun will follow. If you fix this problem, then add a clock to show how long you've lasted, with the ability to save your high score, it would actually make a pretty fun little game.

hahah! i know, i am new to the syntax, i can make the sprite (sun) follow the stylus, but not the other sprite, yet.  Once I do it will be fun, you're right!  The screen's raster is 60Hz and there is an auto loop that the DS has built into it.  so i can add a timer at the top of the screen, sure! i can declare a variable i = 0; and then put an auto increment in the area that isn't in a statement or loop.  so when it get's to 60, then it will say "0:0:1" etc..

And yeah, I had the MMD for about 6 months before i threw it in the trash.  I HATED patching ROMs with that god damned thing.  With the M3 it was so easy and nice.  Drop the DS game on the card, turn it on..

And thanks G0d0t, I iwll add your CycloDS to the list of HCL on the site in the morning.

Offline gangals

• Merp?
  • PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-31
  • ummm cacti
    • http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1879/bagmanonfire4pb.jpg
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »
So much awesomeness. I <3 you trevelyn.

Offline Yauch

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-9
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 01:04:39 AM »
on the R4 with the 1.18 kernel I get the crackly noise the whole time. Cept during the red/blue box screens.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:33:38 AM by Yauch »

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 03:50:38 AM »
on the R4 with the 1.18 kernel I get the crackly noise the whole time. Cept during the red/blue box screens.
Thanks, I'll add that to the HCL, The same thing happens with the OLD M3 the "Simply" but not the "REAL."

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 07:52:08 AM »
okay, i did it.  It wasn't too hard to figure out... Thanks to Mr. Anderson's idea about the Sun automatically following the Cactus (even when not touch the cactus) the game is a bit more challenging.  I also added a timer to the top screen at the bottom to show "score."  The song's part of the application is awesome now.  I have like 10 songs or so you can choose from and i made it so you can listen to them while using the cactus game or drawing, and as said before while the lid is closed using headphones (save battery with no light behind screens, screens sleep, etc).

i simply set sprite 1 (sun) to be moveable by stylus (PA_MoveSprite(1);) and set sprite 1 to be the sun.  Then i made a variable that changes with the "raster" of the screen.  (it updates immediately)  If any of you were coding Perl TK applications, it's pretty much the same.. everything before the "MainLoop" in Tk was refreshed really fast so you can display changing variables, rememebr?  kk.  The variable i set uses the PA_GetSpriteX(), and PA_GetSpriteY() functions.   (gets its location) then wrote a few if's that if the sun isn't near or touching the cactus to go there: PA_SetSpriteX(), and PA_SetSpriteY().

It's pretty straight forward, here is a beginners page if any one else is interested:

http://www.palib.info/wiki/doku.php

I will release the updated PLADS most likely around Tuesday or Wednesday next week!

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 08:55:12 AM »
http://www.palib.info/wiki/doku.php

Nice. I think I am going to have to try out programming for the DS.