Author Topic: Pranknet/Dex/Skype Calls????!  (Read 41587 times)

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
Re: Pranknet/Dex/Skype Calls????!
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2009, 03:44:57 AM »
It's absolutely illegal to steal a dollar. But it's a minor crime so it shouldn't be prosecuted even if one person orchestrates the stealing of thousands of individual dollars as each dollar taken wasn't enough to warrent investigation.

Stealing is illegal. Apparently tricking people over the phone isn't. And in some sense, Dex didn't benefit from what he did. There was no money in it. So what should the punishment be? Should he have to pay back the hotels for the damage he caused? Maybe, but get real, there's just no way he could. Should he have to go to jail? Maybe, but then again, why? Because he told people over the phone what to do and they were dumb enough to believe him?

I'm not a Dex fanatic or anything, actually I think he should lighten up a bit, but if the FBI says the case isn't worth investigation, then it probably isn't.

I don't want Dex to get in trouble, because I'm not damn sadistic, but I also hope he stops before somebody actually gets hurt. And I hope the media also stops making a big deal out of this whole thing before congress churns out more anti-phreaking laws to make life harder for everyone else.

Now good day to you sir!

Offline ParkerChase

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-3
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
Maybe the PrankNET story can be a lesson for people. Everyone is pointing the finger at Dex and saying how evil he is. What if you do a prank call and the person on the other end has a heart attack. Then Dex could point his finger at you and say how evil you are because he only told people to damage stuff and you killed someone.  Judge Ye Be Judged. There by the grace of God go I. The fall from grace can be a short one.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »
Maybe the PrankNET story can be a lesson for people. Everyone is pointing the finger at Dex and saying how evil he is. What if you do a prank call and the person on the other end has a heart attack. Then Dex could point his finger at you and say how evil you are because he only told people to damage stuff and you killed someone.  Judge Ye Be Judged. There by the grace of God go I. The fall from grace can be a short one.

It's a god damn good thing I don't believe in god or go to fucking church.

I can judge all I want! Just another perk to being a godless heathen.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2009, 05:23:53 AM »
So according to your logic:

It's absolutely illegal to steal a dollar. But it's a minor crime so it shouldn't be prosecuted even if one person orchestrates the stealing of thousands of individual dollars as each dollar taken wasn't enough to warrent investigation.

Not by the FBI. Tens of thousands, maybe. But that's just my opinion.

There's no need to argue the logic, we'll find out in a month or two when there is or isn't an article about Dex being busted by the FBI. I'll bet you 20 bucks that there isn't one.

Offline donkeykong208

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-6
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »
Zazen: I got searched with some friends and they found lighters, eyedrops, Dutches, zigzag papers, and a big box of twinkies and by some miracle they didn't find the weed in the secret pocket of my friends wallet

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »
Zazen: I got searched with some friends and they found lighters, eyedrops, Dutches, zigzag papers, and a big box of twinkies and by some miracle they didn't find the weed in the secret pocket of my friends wallet

... and we smoked three more blunts later that night

Offline donkeykong208

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-6
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:05 PM »
nice hahaha

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2009, 02:15:42 PM »
Wow. I feel out of the loop. There was just one thing I wanted to point out for some of the earlier trolling:

RBCP and/or the PLA have never defended the actions of any of its users when they did something stupid or out of line. There have been "pranks gone bad" or "pranks out of hand" on the bridge, which Arbie asked the users to stop, because they are stupid and harmful. We have had users in the past who have been convicted of fraud, convicted of computer crimes of various sorts, and many other transgressions. Some were just stupid personal choices, while some were pranks gone too far. We've never once defended a user's actions or stood behind them. If I were to start doing what Dex did and got caught (or at least positively ID'd), the PLA forum members would not call me a hero or flame anyone who spoke ill of me.

'jes sayin. Also, I usually don't find calls that encourage damage to property that funny, though there are exceptions.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
remember when tr0n went to jail for fucking kids and we all defended him?

oh wait... no we didn't.

but apparently that's status quo over at pranknet

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2009, 03:38:29 AM »
remember when tr0n went to jail for fucking kids and we all defended him?

oh wait... no we didn't.

but apparently that's status quo over at pranknet

I've been in their room a while and I'm pretty sure none of them even knows tr0n.

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2009, 09:04:24 AM »
no shit.

but they do have two convicted pedophiles in the ranks

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2009, 09:12:40 AM »
I was thinking more of BostonJoe, but point well made.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »

Those guys stopped coming to the room after the TSG article exposed them. People in the room make fun of them and display photoshopped images of those guys with little girls or in jail.

Offline Arox!

• please don't tickle me
  • PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-42
  • *Random Mike Tyson Quote*
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself. @ bostonjoe that guy had like the funniest accent/speech impediment. i wish he would come back, he makes me laugh.
L̬͙O͓Ḽ̼͔̭̯

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2009, 08:22:10 PM »

Those guys stopped coming to the room after the TSG article exposed them. People in the room make fun of them and display photoshopped images of those guys with little girls or in jail.

uh huh.