Author Topic: Cyber-security Act of 2009  (Read 5035 times)

Offline DynamiteHacker

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-0
  • Boom Boom
    • The NetUnderground
Cyber-security Act of 2009
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
What is your opinion on the recent bill that was just revised called the Cybersecurity Act of 2009. This bill will allow president Obama to control internet traffic and restrict what is said and done on the internet in the event of a "cyber-emergency". Personally I am completely opposed to this bill. What do you think

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
Re: Cyber-security Act of 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »
*Anxiously awaits linear's reply*

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-28
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 05:24:57 PM »
What is your opinion on the recent bill that was just revised called the Cybersecurity Act of 2009. This bill will allow president Obama to control internet traffic and restrict what is said and done on the internet in the event of a "cyber-emergency". Personally I am completely opposed to this bill. What do you think

While I doubt that it's as simple as that, I too would oppose the bill given the infringement on free speech.  Also, all that power being vested in one individual is a bad idea, regardless of political preference.  I don't like Obama, but I don't want any one person to have the ability to censor/control others.  That's not democracy.

Careful Nod.  He's just a very clever spambot. 

Your moms a spambot.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
i won't bother say too much about this because the response is obvious, but clearly this bill is irresponsible and dangerous. part of me says there's no way this bill will pass, but looking back to the crazy shit the previous administration was able to sneak past us under the guise of "public security," I guess it's pretty easy to imagine this going through without any problem.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »
Even if it does pass they're going to have a shit of time enforcing it.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »

I just read this:
http://commerce.senate.gov/public/_files/Cyberbillsummaryonepagerplusthreepagesummarypressrelease1Apr090.pdf

I don't see anything about controlling internet traffic or restricting what is said and done on the Internet. I think it's totally reasonable to mandate that Federal networks and "critical infrastructure" networks have the ability to isolate themselves from the Internet, provided that the definition for critical infrastructure be carefully defined (i.e. including utilities like the power grid, but excluding communications systems and definitely excluding the Internet itself). I don't really like the idea of the president having authority to demand the isolation of private networks, but that might be the best way to ensure that the ability exists.

The bill also seems to expand the role of NIST which I think is awesome. For years I've relied on NIST documents for security guidance at work even though they're currently only intended to serve the federal government. I can't wait to see what they cook up if a bill passes.