Author Topic: TV Tuner Cards + MythTV  (Read 3559 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
TV Tuner Cards + MythTV
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »
So I figured for the price of an analog-digital converter box for my TV, I could instead just get a TV tuner card to install on my laptop and setup MythTV, as I don't have cable and have no immediate plans to get it. Does anyone know a decent USB-based card that won't require an external antenna that has Linux drivers available? I was thinking about the eVGA inDTube USB 2.0 ATSC/NTSC, but I'm questioning whether a USB-stick like this will be strong enough without an external antenna.

Any thoughts?

Offline SpaceBison

• Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
  • Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
Re: TV Tuner Cards + MythTV
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
If you plan on receiving an over the air signal, then you will defiantly need an antenna. I've noticed that digital signals are somewhat of a bitch to receive and they don't degrade gracefully like the analog ones did.

There's a couple sticks listed on this page. I had one of the pinacle ones listed but I never got it to work right or more likely I didn't know what the hell I was doing but that was two years ago and I haven't had time to mess with it again. So your mileage may vary. I'd ask on their forums. Good luck.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Video_capture_cards

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline 247electrical

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
Re: TV Tuner Cards + MythTV
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »
Thanks a lot for the solution as i was facing the same problems.