Author Topic: Where would one start?  (Read 8599 times)

Offline zoidd

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-0
Where would one start?
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:07:32 PM »
Where would one start in the art of phone phreaking? Me and some friends have recently went around trying out codes on payphones to get change but none have really worked and we're simply getting bored.. i've been reading plans on blue boxes and such but really have no clue what each box means, basically does anyone have some info on how to become a so called "phreak" that a complete noob would understand?

thank you :)

Offline SpaceBison

• Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
  • Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
Re: Where would one start?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:12:25 PM »
A lot of the stuff like red boxes are no longer functional today in much of the country unless perhaps you live in hick country. Personally since you're just getting started, I'd look into the blotto box as a way to get your feet wet as it is relatively simple to set up.

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline zoidd

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »
I've read up about the blotto box, and most people are saying its a myth and most are saying it shuts down the whole area code which i dont think i should do especially around here it would most likely cause a riot (would be funny) and most people would die from not being able to call emergency lines... thats just pure ridicoulous.

anything a little simpler? but if i go on a crime spree, i'd most defiantly use a blotto box My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself...

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:44:31 PM »
Did you really try punching in the code to pay phones to get all the money out?  That didn't work?  How much time did you spend doing that and how many pay phones did you try? 

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »
Speaking from pure experience. Never learning anything is key. If you know a few things, to help you fake most people you'll meet on IRC and at cons, that always helps. Heavy drinking. Whiskey sours, none of that pussy Grey Goose shit, man. Chivas. Put some fucking hair on your goddamn chest. Make sure you drink alot of that shit, and when you're good and drunk. Make sure you shoot off at people in seniority positions at the hacker con you're at. This will get you tons of name recognition five years later. Smoke a ton of pot. Make sure you get yourself a nice decent glass pipe to smoke out of it. Carry it with you in your phreaker's toolbox. Make sure you got a drug dealer you can trust. You'll always want a good guy you can get a steady supply of grass from, maybe some Xanax too. A phreaker's toolkit is never complete with out paraphernalia, narcotics and benzodiazapines. Really. Make sure you are ready to invest a decade or more of your life to this.

Offline zoidd

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »
I expected to be fucked with, My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself..

i tried it on a good 50 payphones from here to the next county over, none working.. tried it on gte, at&t and western electric.
none worked.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:35:22 PM »
I'm not fucking with you, that is more or less how I got here.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:01:43 AM »
Publish a text file full of potentially unsafe and/or illegal information that you would never have to balls to try yourself. Congratulations, you're a phone phreak!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
i tried it on a good 50 payphones from here to the next county over, none working.. tried it on gte, at&t and western electric.
none worked.

Keep trying!  I find it works best when the pay phone's number ends on a prime number.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 02:59:57 PM »
Keep trying!  I find it works best when the pay phone's number ends on a prime number.

What? I've had way more luck with even pay phone numbers.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »
Publish a text file full of potentially unsafe and/or illegal information that you would never have to balls to try yourself. Congratulations, you're a phone phreak!

You forgot inaccurate and incomplete.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »
Speaking from pure experience. Never learning anything is key. If you know a few things, to help you fake most people you'll meet on IRC and at cons, that always helps. Heavy drinking. Whiskey sours, none of that pussy Grey Goose shit, man. Chivas. Put some fucking hair on your goddamn chest. Make sure you drink alot of that shit, and when you're good and drunk. Make sure you shoot off at people in seniority positions at the hacker con you're at. This will get you tons of name recognition five years later. ...  Make sure you are ready to invest a decade or more of your life to this.

This. Being really mouthy really helps too.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »
Speaking from pure experience. Never learning anything is key. If you know a few things, to help you fake most people you'll meet on IRC and at cons, that always helps. Heavy drinking. Whiskey sours, none of that pussy Grey Goose shit, man. Chivas. Put some fucking hair on your goddamn chest. Make sure you drink alot of that shit, and when you're good and drunk. Make sure you shoot off at people in seniority positions at the hacker con you're at. This will get you tons of name recognition five years later. ...  Make sure you are ready to invest a decade or more of your life to this.

This. Being really mouthy really helps too.

If you're going to go with this method, you should probably plan to start sometime in the late '80s or the '90s. The availability of relatively cheap computers, the invention of the Internet, and the lack of phone company security makes this a good decade to start out in.

Start saving up for a time machine.

Also remember that having a cool nickname like RedBoxChiliPepper, Murd0c, or (of course) Mr. Anderson helps a lot. It's an unwritten rule that the more numbers you have in place of letters in your name makes you a better phreak.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:49:38 PM by Mr. Anderson »

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
There's plenty of cool shit to be had with phones, it doesn't matter. If phones are around, they will be fucked with continuously by people such as ourselves. Not me, but you guys.

Offline zoidd

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
Alright, so in other words phone phreaking is old and outdated.. alright. Is there anything cool with phones that you can do now? just, computer hacking is too risky, and phone phreaking seemed fun, but must be old and phone companies/manufactures must have eliminated it..