Author Topic: PA prank at Washington Township Walmart has customers riled  (Read 27701 times)

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
Re: PA prank at Washington Township Walmart has customers riled
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2010, 07:17:58 AM »
You can go back and read what exactly it is I mean. Naaaah. :)

i did re-read it, the context didn't change.

Mentioned below...

Insisting I stop using them is not required. Hypocrisy in the arguments in which I'm using them or is the hypocrisy in me?  If hypocrisy in an argument, then no, it doesn't apply (the whole moving the goalpost thing, for example. Though I think we just disagreed as to what our standards were.). If you're just attacking me, then it does.

uh, i'm attacking th hypocrisy itself, and i don't think hypocrisy is innate. so that's not really attacking you, just your choice in presenting the argument.[/quote]

Nice rationalization of attacking me.

This is actually the closest to the heart of the matter, really. Did you really think he thought there were literally no articles were mentioning it? If not, it's hyperbole. It works both ways.

if i had found a singular article, sure, he's right. but every single relevant article i found (that wasn't merely a blog entry about it, but actual news sources) mentioned it. i'm not denying that there's other articles that didn't mention it, but no one is covering it up or ignoring it. it's just basic journalism. some sources will cover it, others won't find it relevant. it's not identity politics, it's just article writing.

Oh so it's ok to be outraged at both. Whew!

as long as you're consistent. but your points were showing an inconsistency. glad we're moving past it though.[/quote]

You mean like when I said twice that it is always relevant?

You statements make people defensive. This is common knowledge.

so why use them except to attempt to put me on the defensive?[/quote]

Irony.

Amidst the criticism, there was a kind of olive branch saying "Hey, I think we're similar in these ways and both on the same side." My attempt an a connection, rebuffed.

except i offered the same olive branch in what you quoted. (the whole spiel about how we're both adults, etc.[/quote]

That was your initial response, was it? Rewriting history again, huh? (The first is when you took my mocking your frustration at my refusal to give your logically fallacious arguments any credence with a response out of context.)

If it's any consolation, I don't think it is just you, I think it's most everybody, unfortunately. It's profoundly sad how divided we all are.

i'll agree, even though i think your target is set on the wrong person.[/quote]

Your mentions of Ron Paul and Glen Beck prove my point. Once, afaik, did I mention your liberal leanings and it was incidental ("Go back to your liberal circle jerk blogs") and could easily have been replaced with republican had you been republican. The rest were criticisms of the ideology.

k.

The rest was addressed elsewhere in this post.

That was fun but can we be done now?

i'd like to think so, but part(/most) of me really doubts it.
[/quote]

Don't worry. I have no desire to engage someone who thinks "I know you are but what am I" is a valid argument.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »

if you think me pointing out that some of your statements are hypocritical is somehow attacking you, then i don't know what to tell you. I can’t fix that persecution complex for you.

yeah, but i was responding to a statement you made AFTER that, showing inconsistency with THIS statment above.

so why use them except to attempt to put me on the defensive?

Irony.

oh, that's much better than those "i know you are" arguments you mention later.

That was your initial response, was it? Rewriting history again, huh? (The first is when you took my mocking your frustration at my refusal to give your logically fallacious arguments any credence with a response out of context.)

nice try, but nothing was out of context. you can go re-read the thread, no history is being rewritten. and by the way, mislabelling the logical fallacies doesn't frustrate me. again, as dicsussed, it's a pretty transparent way to deflect.

Your mentions of Ron Paul and Glen Beck prove my point. Once, afaik, did I mention your liberal leanings and it was incidental ("Go back to your liberal circle jerk blogs") and could easily have been replaced with republican had you been republican. The rest were criticisms of the ideology.

you've mentioned my "liberal leanings", and i made comments about beck to the original poster and ron paul to you, yes. i've also responded to your ideology. great! we're both doing the same thing. uh, great job, everyone.

Don't worry. I have no desire to engage someone who thinks "I know you are but what am I" is a valid argument.

i would love for you to point out where i used this argument. i suspect that you're going to say that me telling you that being hypocritical in your responses isn't productive is somehow an "i know you are!" argument. if so... come one, you're better than that. that's a very dishonest reframing of my point.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2010, 10:51:24 AM »

if you think me pointing out that some of your statements are hypocritical is somehow attacking you, then i don't know what to tell you. I can’t fix that persecution complex for you.

In context, I wasn't complaining about being attacked, I was explaining the difference between a valid tu quoque fallacy and an invalid tu quoque fallacy. For example, if I mention that you were saying that I was possibly being dishonest and are now repeatedly taking my comments out of context, which is dishonest, that would be an invalid argument because it has nothing to do with the argument, it is an ad hominem.

yeah, but i was responding to a statement you made AFTER that, showing inconsistency with THIS statment above.[/quote]

You mean your assumption that I don't feel the same way when it's another race (I'm broadening the spectrum since /you/ only mentioned white). The burden of proof in on you for that one.

so why use them except to attempt to put me on the defensive?

Irony.

oh, that's much better than those "i know you are" arguments you mention later.[/quote]

It's either irony or you did it intentionally. I was kind enough to give you an out.

nice try, but nothing was out of context. you can go re-read the thread, no history is being rewritten. and by the way, mislabelling the logical fallacies doesn't frustrate me. again, as dicsussed, it's a pretty transparent way to deflect.[/quote]

Again, exception doesn't prove the rule.

you've mentioned my "liberal leanings", and i made comments about beck to the original poster and ron paul to you, yes. i've also responded to your ideology. great! we're both doing the same thing. uh, great job, everyone.[/quote]

Now you're just putting your fingers in your ears. What's next? You gonna hold your breath?

i would love for you to point out where i used this argument. i suspect that you're going to say that me telling you that being hypocritical in your responses isn't productive is somehow an "i know you are!" argument. if so... come one, you're better than that. that's a very dishonest reframing of my point.
[/quote]

Tu quoque, which has been pointed out several times,  is essentially "I know you are but what am I?"

This whole exchange brings to mind two aphorisms

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience"

And I can't remember the exact quote but it was something to the effect of "I must hurry for I am their leader and they are leaving without me."

And with that, I'm done.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:16:18 AM by jenn »

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2010, 11:48:07 AM »
In context, I wasn't complaining about being attacked, I was explaining the difference between a valid tu quoque fallacy and an invalid tu quoque fallacy. For example, if I mention that you were saying that I was possibly being dishonest and are now repeatedly taking my comments out of context, which is dishonest, that would be an invalid argument because it has nothing to do with the argument, it is an ad hominem.

but since it was not taken out of context, you're making a moot point.

You mean your assumption that I don't feel the same way when it's another race (I'm broadening the spectrum since /you/ only mentioned white). The burden of proof in on you for that one.

not based on my assumption, based on the comment you made that ignores the reality of the situation.

It's either irony or you did it intentionally. I was kind enough to give you an out.

how considerate  ::)

Again, exception doesn't prove the rule.

but when it's done consistently, it threatens to become a rule, or at very least is a negative pattern. and since you've done it consistently...

Now you're just putting your fingers in your ears. What's next? You gonna hold your breath?

actually i was agreeing with your statement, even though it was a trivial.

Tu quoque, which has been pointed out several times,  is essentially "I know you are but what am I?"

and yet you've failed to accurately label tu quoque situations. you've mislabeled my "hypocrisy isn't productive" statment as tu quoque, and again, the only way that works is if you intentionally change the meaning (and even the wording) of what i said. so either you misread causing a misinterpretation, are intentionally mis-stating my point, or are confused by what tu quoque means. but since you can define tu quoque (and therefore i'm sure you can find it when its being applied), i'm guessing it's one of the first two options.

This whole exchange brings to mind two aphorisms

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience"

well i'm happy to say you weren't able to drag me down, but i will concede that you've worn me down. too much energy on what is so trivial to both of us (i'm assuming you're not any more invested in this than i am).

And I can't remember the exact quote but it was something to the effect of "I must hurry for I am their leader and they are leaving without me."

And with that, I'm done.

this allusion/aphorism is lost on me as i'm not familiar with it. so i guess you got me there.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself. THE KID SAID BLACK PEOPLE!

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
I KNOW RIGHT? LMFAOWSABFAFUMAAUCFLAMTXTWP
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »
NIGGERS!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »
i am shocked, shocked i say!

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
Murd0c you're suck a fucking porch monkey.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline roche

• Long Time Lamer
  • Baby Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-0