Author Topic: PA prank at Washington Township Walmart has customers riled  (Read 27705 times)

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
PA prank at Washington Township Walmart has customers riled
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:49:07 AM »
PA prank at Washington Township Walmart has customers riled
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
By Lucas K. Murray
lmurray@sjnewsco.com

WASHINGTON TWP. A Sunday evening shopping trip turned sour quickly for customers at the Walmart in Turnersville when someone used the store's public address system to broadcast a racially offensive message.

Sheila Ellington, of Williamstown was at the self-checkout of the Walmart at about 6:45 p.m. with her neighbor Patricia Covington. The pair were finishing up their shopping when the inappropriate message was made.

"Just as I finished bagging my purchases there was an announcement that said Ôattention Walmart customers, all black people must leave the store now,'" Ellington explained. "Once I heard that, it was almost like a hush over the whole store momentarily because no one had believed what had taken place."

The two women made their way over to the customer service counter where a group of people had quickly assembled.

After about 10 minutes, Ellington said the manager of the store emerged and told them that he was aware of the situation and that store security was reviewing security tape footage to try to find who had used the public address, or PA, system.

Police responded and Ellington, who is on the executive committee of the Gloucester County Minority Coalition and an attorney who specializes in cases involving bias, told officers she'd like the incident to be reported as a bias incident as well as harassment.

More than a dozen black people were in the store at the time.

Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office Spokesman Bernie Weisenfeld said an active, ongoing investigation is currently underway.

"It's being treated as a suspected bias crime in which the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office is assisting Washington Township," Weisenfeld said, adding the county's victim-witness coordinator has contacted the store manager to offer counseling service to those in the store who were affected by this.

Through it all, Ellington said the police and Walmart management acted in a professional manner and have taken the matter very seriously.

"It appears as though whatever security systems they have in place have to be addressed by the corporate office," she said. "Whatever they need to do to find the person that is responsible, they need to be prosecuted."

Someone may have utilized an in-store phone to gain access to it, but that could not be confirmed. Ellington's fear is that someone could have just as easily caused a panic by yelling "fire."

Ashley Hardie, spokeswoman for Walmart, referred questions about the investigation to local law enforcement, but did convey the company's regret surrounding the circumstances of the incident.

"Clearly this is completely unacceptable to both Walmart and to our customers," Hardie added. "We are reviewing our systems to prevent this from happening in the future."

The two women haven't had a problem at the Walmart in the past. Covington said up until Sunday, she would shop there just about every day.

"I couldn't believe I heard what I actually heard," Covington said. "I'm just pretty upset. You can't imagine how much time I spent there. I can't envision walking through those doors again, at least not yet."

It will take some time for her to return. Covington is hurt by what she experienced, but doesn't hold a grudge against the store for what could be considered by some to be a sick prank.

In the meantime she'll shop somewhere else and mail the letter she wrote Monday to Walmart's corporate office.

"I'm not sure it will make any difference," Covington said. "I just have to get it out. Just have to say the things that I feel."

http://www.nj.com/gloucester/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1268712607256480.xml&coll=8

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: PA prank at Washington Township Walmart has customers riled
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:57 AM »
Someone may have utilized an in-store phone to gain access to it, but that could not be confirmed.

YOU THINK?!?!@

"We are reviewing our systems to prevent this from happening in the future."

No they won't.  They're phone system has been pretty much the same for 20 years and people have been getting on the PA for all that time.  They put the phones on posts in secluded aisles where anybody can use them.  Any dumb teenager can get on there and say anything they want.  They're not going to suddenly realize it's a bad idea after all these years.

I bet Target never has this problem since the only way to get on the PA is to use microphones at the service desk or fitting rooms.  They should try that.

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
Weisenfeld said, adding the county's victim-witness coordinator has contacted the store manager to offer counseling service to those in the store who were affected by this.

seriously are people such fucking pussies that they need counseling for hearing a stupid immature page over the speaker system...

she would shop there just about every day.

what could you possible need to go back to walmart EVERY DAY for??

"I couldn't believe I heard what I actually heard," Covington said. "I'm just pretty upset. You can't imagine how much time I spent there. I can't envision walking through those doors again, at least not yet."

It will take some time for her to return. Covington is hurt by what she experienced, but doesn't hold a grudge against the store for what could be considered by some to be a sick prank.

In the meantime she'll shop somewhere else and mail the letter she wrote Monday to Walmart's corporate office.

boo-fucking-hoo.... you shopped there EVERY FUCKING DAY... i think the people who work there would enjoy a break from seeing your loser ass.... (i highly doubt that this will keep you away, perhaps one day you won't go.. but they you will look around your pathetic house and realize that there is something that you just need to go purchace at walmart...)

Offline bosco

• the guy who posted the number of the white house situation room
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +42/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »
That store is about a half hour from me. I wonder what they would do in the event of a reoccurrence, but if someone were to tell all the white people to leave...

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
That store is about a half hour from me. I wonder what they would do in the event of a reoccurrence, but if someone were to tell all the white people to leave...

It's your duty to find out! 

phonelosers.org sure has been getting hit hard from this story.  Seems like every blog or forum (and Fark and Something Awful and Consumerist) that talks about this story always ends up linking back to us, either to the Fred Meyer story or the Wal-Mart calls.

Offline bosco

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »

It's your duty to find out! 

Eh... It's been 8 years since I "joined the PLA", and I'm still waiting on my 401k info and my health insurance cards. YOU PROMISED ME DENTAL, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:50:21 PM by bosco »

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
inb4 10,000 "How doez I tak ovur wallmartz pa? lulz" threads.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
Walmart Racist PA System Prank Culprit Arrested

The police in Washington Township, N.J. have tracked down and arrested the alleged perpetrator of last weekend's unauthorized PA announcement of "Attention Walmart customers: All black people leave the store now." It will surprise absolutely no one that the suspect is a 16-year-old boy.

Rafael Muñiz, the Washington Township police chief, said that while the cameras did not record anyone speaking on the public-address system, images did show three people — the suspect, a young man and a woman — standing near the phone just before the announcement and rushing from the store just after it.

Investigators also scoured Facebook, MySpace and YouTube, and found postings, including some that the police chief said involved “kids bragging” about what happened. With the help of anonymous tipsters, he added, investigators were led to the suspect, who was arrested Friday.

“We got lucky,” Chief Muñiz said Saturday at a news conference.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »
Arrested and he didn't even say THE N WORD!  That is crazy.  I've hurt way more feelings than that when I walked around picking up customer phone calls.  Once I got on Wal-Mart's overhead and just babbled for several minutes until the manager came over and said I needed to stop and I continued to have a conversation with him on the PA.  He was too chicken to hang it up on me.  Guess what happened to me?  Nothing.  He didn't even throw us out of the store.  This is pretty messed up that some kid is getting arrested.  I bet all the charges eventually get dropped since this is barely even a crime.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:25:44 PM »
Arrested and he didn't even say THE N WORD!  That is crazy.  I've hurt way more feelings than that when I walked around picking up customer phone calls.  Once I got on Wal-Mart's overhead and just babbled for several minutes until the manager came over and said I needed to stop and I continued to have a conversation with him on the PA.  He was too chicken to hang it up on me.  Guess what happened to me?  Nothing.  He didn't even throw us out of the store.  This is pretty messed up that some kid is getting arrested.  I bet all the charges eventually get dropped since this is barely even a crime.

I'd be pissed they're wasting money to prosecute the kid.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:56:40 AM »

I'd be pissed they're wasting money to prosecute the kid.

But, but, he committed a hate crime.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline RushPwnsX

• Shitty Bassist
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +18/-31
  • 1337 13V3L: +9999/-1
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »
I'm not a racist so I know what it's like to be discriminated against.
Throw him in the jail forever. We can already tell he is going to be a serial killer of black people.
Atonal apples.

Offline bosco

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 07:34:18 PM »
  I bet all the charges eventually get dropped since this is barely even a crime.

No, you're thinking of black-on-white hate crimes. The NAACP will crucify him.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »
Here's the latest...

A 16-year-old Atlantic County boy who was arrested in the broadcast of a racially tinged announcement at a Turnersville Wal-Mart earlier this month did the same thing Dec. 28, police reported today.

The youth, whose name has not been released because he is a juvenile, now is being charged with two counts each of harassment and bias intimidation, Washington Township police said.

The youth is accused of accessing a Wal-Mart telephone on March 14 and announcing over the intercom that "all the black people" should leave the store on Route 42. Police made the arrest after examining surveillance cameras and social Websites such as Facebook and YouTube.

Loretta Winters, president of the Gloucester County NAACP, said she received reports that a similar incident had happened before, but at the time, Wal-Mart had considered it "just a prank" and did not report it to police. She said "the persistence of the NAACP" led to further investigation.

Police said Wal-Mart managers this week turned over a surveillance recording from December that showed the youth making a similar broadcast about 10:30 p.m.

Wal-Mart representatives have apologized for the broadcast and have secured their public address system to prevent future problems.

Interesting that they've secured the PA.  Wonder how they did that and if employees can even use it anymore.  Maybe they just disabled #96 from all the phones except for in the customer service area and other guarded areas.

Offline RushPwnsX

• Shitty Bassist
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +18/-31
  • 1337 13V3L: +9999/-1
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »
Loretta Winters, president of the Gloucester County NAACP, said she received reports that a similar incident had happened before, but at the time, Wal-Mart had considered it "just a prank" and did not report it to police. She said "the persistence of the NAACP" led to further investigation.
I have an idea. He should do it again, but get all of the white men to leave. Then when he doesn't go to jail, he can sue the National Association Against Cracker People.
Atonal apples.