Author Topic: Interfering with job applications  (Read 2088 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Interfering with job applications
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
At a movie theater a worked at in 1990, I was moving furniture out of a manager's office and found an old job application behind a filing cabinet.  The applicant was a high school girl and was dated 1985.  I called her up and talked to her mother, who told me that she no longer lived there because she had gotten married and moved away, but gave me her new phone number.  I called up the girl and tried to set up an interview with her, but she was no longer interested.  It was funny, but could have gotten me in trouble if she actually wanted the job.

In 1995, I was at Burger King picking up some lunch.  While I waited at the counter, I noticed a giant stack of job applications sitting on the counter, all of them filled out.  I slipped them under my tray while nobody was looking, then carried them to my table along with my food.  Later that day, I called all the applicants from home and set them all up for interviews at the exact same time.  Some of them I told to go to the Texaco gas station across the street for their interview at Burger King, telling them that I was the manager for both businesses.  I loved the idea of people going to Texaco and asking to speak to the manager about their Burger King interview.  I was too lazy to get up in the morning and watch the chaos, though.

I'd like to do some more job application pranks.  How could this be done in 2010?  I know a lot of businesses still use paper job applications, but how could we get those?  Pretend to be the district manager on the phone and say you're sending someone in to pick them up?  That's a little risky.  Hack the job application kiosks at Target or Wal-Mart?

There's always the "looking for work" section of Craigslist or Monster.com, but those wouldn't be nearly as hilarious as calling up minimum wage seekers from job applications.

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
Re: Interfering with job applications
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
You could always set up a fake Craig's list account with a phony email address. Then post a now hiring ad. After 10 or 15 people call. have them meet at the same place at the same time. Make sure you're there with a video camera to film reactions.

This reminds me of a story I read in one of George Hayduke's revenge books about a guy who got even with a mark by posting a want ad looking for people to demolish a house. This was back in the 1980's when people were desperate for work.

Lots of people showed up and actually started the demolition work. The house belonged to the mark.

I think this was also one of the scenes from the Jerky Boys movie.

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
I think in the Jerky Boys movie he got an actual bulldozer driver to go to the guy's house.  Remember that Craigslist story about someone who gave out some lady's address and it said "everything is free!"  Tons of people showed up and emptied out her house, including fixtures and a sink.  I always thought it would be funny to put up a craigslist ad for something on a person's deck for free, then arrange for them to come over and just take it.  Like a BBQ grill or a table/chairs set.

I bet I could get a store manager to fax me a few dozen job applications.

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »
I bet I could get a store manager to fax me a few dozen job applications.

How can you be able to pull that off? That will probably require an ass-load of social engineering.

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »
How can you be able to pull that off? That will probably require an ass-load of social engineering.

"Hi, Mr. Store Manager.  This is John from the corporate office.  I need you to fax me the last twenty job applications you've received because we're going to contact them to see if they'll work at (location 30 miles away) because that store is very understaffed right now."

I have no idea if that would work, but it might.  Managers don't question corporate office people.

Offline RushPwnsX

• Shitty Bassist
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +18/-31
  • 1337 13V3L: +9999/-1
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 05:26:36 PM »
It doesn't sound like a waste of time to try.
Atonal apples.