Author Topic: Nigerian Scammer Raid  (Read 12401 times)

Offline Nagasakinuker

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-13
Nigerian Scammer Raid
« on: September 02, 2006, 02:02:34 PM »

Offline Nagasakinuker

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-13
Re: Nigerian Scammer Raid
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:03:03 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5fLn86Q4wSM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5fLn86Q4wSM&rel=1</a>

"Clip from a BBC story; the reporter followed Nigerian police forces into an Internet cafe from which Nigerian 419 scammers were operating. Video shows the raid, the arrests, and the evidence."

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:22:54 PM »
Wow, gunshots.

After playing along with a Nigerian scammer recently, I'm starting to side with the scammers.  Anyone stupid enough not to catch the dozens of obvious warning signs during the scam deserves to have their money taken.

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 03:38:34 PM »
After playing along with a Nigerian scammer recently, I'm starting to side with the scammers.  Anyone stupid enough not to catch the dozens of obvious warning signs during the scam deserves to have their money taken.

Denzel Washington says in Training Day, "if you can work the system you deserve your freedom." Since I believe what TV tells me dogmatically, I agree with you on this.

But people aren't "the system," and it's different to steal from a person who works to stay alive and a corporation whose income could be halved and still leave some middle-aged men in suits very rich.

I think there is such thing as a moral criminal; stealing from your neighbours (not speaking geographically) doesn't agree with my morality, nor baby jesus'.

I made a post without My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself. in the body. You're welcome.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 03:49:57 PM »
If an American gets their life savings stolen from a Nigerian, they'll still probably have a lot more than the Nigerian.  And they learn a valuable lesson to boot!

Offline gangals

• Merp?
  • PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-31
  • ummm cacti
    • http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1879/bagmanonfire4pb.jpg
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 05:34:52 PM »
I can agree with RBCP that if a person falls for that, they should be shot, I can't deal with that type of stupidity.

But I also have a direct tie with Africa. For the past year I have "had" to raise more than 15k to send personal care products and blankets over there. One of my good friends/business partners was born in Ethiopia. They still want me to go over there to teach them about computers(that $100 laptop crap is going to fail, they aren't letting non-profits(I run 3) help spread the education and are running everything through corrupt African governments >:(

But from my personal experiences, ppl in Africa think that all Americans have money out the wazoo and they don't understand that a person like me can barely pay the rent and go to school working 2 jobs.

Offline lizardpuppy

• When I type the type, I type the type well.
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-0
  • GET A JOB.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 01:34:14 AM »
I don't know if you guys have seen anything on scambaiting, but here's a video I think you'll all like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okE6TRQlZY8&mode=related&search=

Here's the guy's site

http://www.thescambaiter.com/

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 10:03:33 AM »
But from my personal experiences, ppl in Africa think that all Americans have money out the wazoo and they don't understand that a person like me can barely pay the rent and go to school working 2 jobs.

Getting your money stolen may set you back a few years.  But you'll always have a place to live and food to eat.  That pretty much goes for any American.  Getting fucked over by a Nigerian may hamper our abilities to buy shiny new things like cars and computers and Ipods and houses, but that's pretty much it.  Wait, houses aren't shiny.  I think from their perspective, every single American is a fat spoiled rich kid and it's not going to hurt us to have a few thousand dollars taken from us.  And they're right about that.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 10:35:56 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=490684

There's a story I just found on Fark about an old guy that lost $230,000 to Nigerian scammers.  I bet Africa's economy is kicking ass because of people like this.

"The U.S. Secret Service Financial Crimes Division reports receiving 100 calls daily from American victims of the scam."

One hundred calls daily!  I wonder if that's from actual victims or just from people who were contacted but not actually scammed.

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 05:03:14 PM »
Wow, gunshots.

amen

fakebritish

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 06:46:52 AM »
I’d personally had some email fun with Africans, Asians and listen to this... Mexicans!! (?) So this is turning kind of the new 3rd world finest business, what actually makes me wonder... Are these people getting smarter than the people from the "1st world"??

FB

::)

Offline Dr P4nyk

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 08:24:33 AM »
They are not getting smarter but having no food makes you motivated.

P4nyk

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 09:12:17 AM »
I’d personally had some email fun with Africans, Asians and listen to this... Mexicans!! (?) So this is turning kind of the new 3rd world finest business, what actually makes me wonder... Are these people getting smarter than the people from the "1st world"??

FB

::)

they are motivated by greed, anyone would love to get "$10M" from a stranger for no reason. and in 'theroy' if it only takes a small amount (compared to the big picture) then who wouldnt do it? aside from all logic and common sense, it's a great opportunity.

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 12:40:44 PM »
The general concept reminds me of playing the lottery... game on.
I agree, if you can't see the ruse, fuck it, you deserve it.

Of course towelheads have been raising money in the US for a very long time with insurance fraud.  As usual, their tactics have more severe consequences than other methods (like 419ers)...

Offline bennym

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-2
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 12:57:29 PM »
They don't prey on greedy fat cats they prey on desperate people.  I put that theory to the test about a year ago. I concocted a bait based on actual victims circumstances.  A scammer encouraged my bait character to let his mother die by sending him the money for her operation because the big funds would come through shortly and save the day.  It went into the realm of absurd after that, as the scammer encouraged me to do all kinds of fucked up things to get him the money. 

http://thescambaiter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3844