Author Topic: Book scalpers!  (Read 2640 times)

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
Book scalpers!
« on: December 03, 2010, 05:46:08 AM »
This is all kinds of crazy; there's an Amazon Marketplace seller already selling used copies, for over double the cover price.

The seller, "any_book", is apparently a really high-volume operation which people have accused of all sorts of shady tactics.  I imagine their routine as done here is to place a way-overpriced listing on as many books as they can, then when some sucker accidentally buys it they just fulfill the order by ordering a new one at normal price (like the sucker should have done) and send it on, pocketing their huge markup.  Some racket!

Brad, you should totally get in touch with these people and offer to sell them some of your copies directly.  If you offer them a dollar off the cover price, they can lower their exorbitant $37 pricetag to a more reasonable $36 and make SO MANY MORE SALES!
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Book scalpers!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »
A few months ago I was playing around with my CreateSpace account and I made the PLA book available for purchase, just for a few minutes, so I could play around with the options.  What I didn't know was that this would also make my book available for sale on Amazon.  So the PLA book has actually been available on Amazon for months now.

The thing is, this guy bought the book long before it was finished, so the copy he has is incomplete.  It doesn't have all the illustrations and I think some of the chapters are unfinished and at least one chapter is completely missing.  It's also got this experimental back cover that looks really horrible and an empty black spot on the front cover where RTF's name and the "Dial and Save" thing are now.  People who are willing to pay more than double the price of the book are going to end up with an unfinished product, making their scammery all the more hilarious!