Author Topic: New Phreaking / Yippies book?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline The Phreak

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Low-level employee
New Phreaking / Yippies book?
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »
Has anyone read "Hacking Ma Bell: The First Hacker Newsletter"? It's a compilation of old Yippie newsletters. Don't want to spend the $15.95 without a review.

It says it was published 6 months ago but this is the first I've heard of it. Anyone read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Ma-Bell-Newsletter-International/dp/0984284419/

From Amazon:

"Youth International Party line is recognized as the first hacker newsletter. Co-founded by Abbie Hoffman, YIPL picks up where Steal This Book left off.

From 1971 to 1984, Youth International Party Line (Later T.A.P.) was a ticket to a world free of charge. With practical tips ranging from free payphone scams to lock-picking, if you wanted advice on subverting corporations and living for free, YIPL was the source.

This volume brings back into print the rare first 23 issues of YIPL, from its beginnings as a tool to disseminate tactics for undermining AT&T's monopoly, to its evolution into a clearinghouse for scams on obtaining everything for free. The bible of phone phreaks and first-wave hackers, this classic newletter has been out of print for decades. Its all here: From technical schematics for obtaining free phone calls to scamming free electricity. This is the first 3 years of the rare hacker newsletter that has been studied and mythologized for decades."

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:46:54 PM by jenn »

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
Re: New Phreaking / Yippies book?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »
I'm having a difficult time of figuring if the second link is just a massive troll gone wild in an attempt to piss them off, or if this is another genuine nut job just going insane with a decent set of punctuation and spelling skills. All though his low-blow and innate insults of Jewish remarks and homophobia lower the over all quality of his hated.

Simply put, I'm confused.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
That's awesome that you can buy all these now.  I've actually got all these YIPL issues printed out in a giant stack.  I want to throw them away, but it just seems sacrilegious to do something like that.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
I just noticed that a brand new user on the BinRev forums posted the exact same thing about the TAP book.  Guess he's the author and just wanted it to look like he's someone who thinks it's a cool book.  Or he's one of those people who compile random things from the net that don't belong to him into books.