Author Topic: Joybubbles  (Read 3043 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Joybubbles
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
This is a cool thing from the History of Phone Phreaking blog.  Back in May 2010 I got an email from a woman named Rachael Morrison.  Rachael said she was an artist who wanted to create an audio art piece having to do with Joybubbles, the blind whistling phone phreak who passed away in the summer of 2007.  She wasn't sure exactly what the piece was going to be or what precisely she was going to do with it, but it seemed like a neat idea.  We ended up talking by phone and she interviewed me about phone phreak history and Joybubbles' life.  She also interviewed Steven, Joybubbles' long-time friend and the executor of his estate.

Months past and, honestly, I pretty much forgot all about it.

So it was a lovely surprise to get an email from Rachael saying that she had completed her audio artwork.  You can listen to it old school -- over the phone -- just like an episode of Joybubbles' Stories and Stuff telephone recordings line.  It's at 718-362-9578.  You can listen to it in one 38-minute episode, or, if you don't have that kind of time in one sitting, Rachael has broken it up into four shorter chunks.

I think she did a really nice job with it, especially the way she blended Steven's remembrances with audio from Joybubbles talking on old recordings of Stories and Stuff.

That number again: 718-362-9578.

Joybubbles stories are all archived at http://audio.textfiles.com/shows/storiesandstuff/.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
Re: Joybubbles
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:44:54 AM »
I plan on sitting down later today and calling the number and listening in on the whole thing. I can pass off forty minutes of my time easily and I'd think it'd be rather fun to sit down and listen over the phone instead of just downloading it. Also listening to the archived calls now. Apparently his dad beat the hell out of his mother.

I know virtually nothing on Joybubbles or Crunch outside of their pioneering into the telephone world.

Offline dtmf

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:49:24 PM »
1.) Draper is a pedo, and took credit for 30 years for something he didn't find.
2.) I listened to the whole recording; while interesting it also proves that Joe was a pathological liar with peter pan syndrome. I talked to him on the phone years ago and he was defenitly way beyond ecentric and very self deluded.

dtmf

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:20:02 AM »
1.) Draper is a pedo, and took credit for 30 years for something he didn't find.

I don't think he ever claimed to have invented blue boxing or discovering the whistle.  He just took the whistle as a name.  If he hadn't then someone else would have.  The only important part is that both Draper and Joybubbles are weird and awesome people who used to do really amazing things.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
2.) I listened to the whole recording; while interesting it also proves that Joe was a pathological liar with peter pan syndrome. I talked to him on the phone years ago and he was defenitly way beyond ecentric and very self deluded.

dtmf

Ha, Tron calling someone a pedo!

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »
I'm always out of the loop. I hear these things tossed around about Joybubbles and Crunch, even Goldstein from 2600. More so the Goldstein was only recent, but the other two I'd kept hearing the same things. But then when I go digging for information that would point these accusations to light, I can't find anything. Maybe I'm not using google correctly. There's always that.