Author Topic: X-Factor voting via payphone  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Cyclopath

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-5
  • Low-level employee
X-Factor voting via payphone
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:40 PM »
I'm sure y'all know that when you dial a toll-free number from a payphone the owner of the number has to pay the payphone company. The X-Factor's voting is via a toll free number, so I wonder what would happen if we all voted for somebody several times from payphones? Voting is open until 12:00 EST tonight, and I'm going to go out right now and try this. I'm not sure if it will work with X-Factor (some toll free numbers block payphones), but it apparently does with American Idol because a friend of mine who was locked up for a week said he voted for someone said he voted for someone from a payphone in juvenile detention.  If you don't know any of the numbers for the X-Factor, you can dial 1-855-843-9307 or 1-855-843-9309; those are the two I'm going to vote for.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:37:21 AM by rbcp »

Offline Cyclopath

• PLA Guru
  • Low-level employee
Re: X-Factor voting via payphone
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »
Never mind, it says "the toll free number you are trying to reach is unavailable from a payphone". Since we're the subject of running up phone bills, anybody know of any other 800 numbers it'd be funny to do this to?

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
did not think american idol was really relevant any more... not that i ever watched that crap, but someone spending time in jail to call in and vote for someone? really?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »
What else are you going to do while you're in juvie?

I've read in the past that it's against some kind of telecommunications act to block your toll-free number from being dialed from a pay phone.  Not sure how true that is, but I've heard about companies getting fined for blocking their number like that.

Offline Cyclopath

• PLA Guru
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »
What else are you going to do while you're in juvie?

I've read in the past that it's against some kind of telecommunications act to block your toll-free number from being dialed from a pay phone.  Not sure how true that is, but I've heard about companies getting fined for blocking their number like that.

It can't be true on federal level or else the Federal Trade Commission is breaking the law because the Do Not Call registry phone number blocks payphones; it could be a state thing somewhere.

Nyphonejacks, I was never into these shows or even watched them until this year one of my friends finally got me to watch Idol. Personally I find the ability to get a call through on the voting lines without getting a busy signal despite the thousands of people calling at the same time more interesting than the show itself, however.

Jail is actually quite boring from what I've heard; everybody I've known that's been there says all you do is sit around and do boring things like go to school classes if it's juvie, watch boring broadcast TV like The Price Is Right, American Idol, and plenty of soap operas, eat shitty food, and clean. Apparently there are inmates that try being gangster bad boys and create drama, but they quickly end up in isolation which means literally staring at the wall all day for the remainder of their stay.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:31:47 AM by Cyclopath »

Offline Jo Nathen

• [Almost a 100 count poster]
  • PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-45
  • Messing around with skype and my job has a pbx.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
Wonder if you could foward it from a payphone....? (Calling card deal)