Author Topic: Target Red Phones and War Dialing  (Read 3856 times)

Offline N01zii

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
  • 21st Century Phreakin'
Target Red Phones and War Dialing
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »
Is war dialing possible for someone who uses free dialup? I've been thinking of using free dial up to try to war dial, since it's not possible though the DSL that I currently have. Also, are there any war dialing programs for Windows XP/7?

And, my other question: My local Target store has nothing on any of the phones that identify extensions or anything, and I haven't been able to get an outside line on them (Not that I really know how anyway, I was just hitting 0, *, and #). The red phones in my store are pick up and press 1 to call a person to your location, or 2 to speak to an employee. Is there any way to access the paging system from there, find out the phone's extension, or find out it's phone number or something like that?

And, other question, do you guys know of any way to document all of the extensions on a line? My local target doesn't suspect anyone that calls in because of how dead phreaking is now, so if you call in and say "Transfer me to extension blablabla" they'll do it no-questions-asked, as I found out when I asked them to transfer me to the extension of the cell phone section's desk phone they had sitting there, with the extension number promptly written on top.

So, how can I exploit this? I told them I was from the telephone company and I needed to document all of their phone extensions, and I asked if they could read me a list of them and what they connect to over the phone, but they said "No, we're extremely busy right now. Send us an official letter in the mail and we would be happy to fill it out, though." so I said okay, I'll make sure and look into that and get it sent out by the end of the week, made some small talk, and politely hung up. I'm completely stuck on how to exploit information out of them.

As to why I'm doing this? I don't know, seems like an entertaining thing to do, and I have nothing better to do over my Christmas break.

Thanks guys!

-N01zii (Noisy)

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
Re: Target Red Phones and War Dialing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
war dialing through a free dialup?

war dialing uses a phone line... like your phone line.. its not any different than making a normal phone call
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline N01zii

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 21st Century Phreakin'
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
Oh, really? So if I had a card that could take a phone line in my computer, I could wardial through it? That's really helpful, thanks. I have a VoIP line, does that make any difference?

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:05:18 PM »
I haven't used any war dialers since the mid 90s, so I don't really know if there have been any new ones developed for more modern setups

Back in those days, they all made use of a dialup modem plugged into a landline.

So you could still run them if you have a modem and a phone line.. otherwise I'd imagine you're looking at hacking together your own program to use VOIP. Wouldn't be surprised if there's already something out there, wouldn't be surprised if there isn't..
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline Deception

• Corporate Associate
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-0
  • Disseminating information
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »
You can war dial under WinXP and linux with an analog modem using ToneLoc (http://packetstormsecurity.org/files/download/14527/tl110.zip) or THC-Scan (http://www.thc.org/thc-scan/THC-SCAN-2.01.ZIP).  In addition, you can use iWar (http://quadrantsec.com/iwar/) under linux.  They work fine on most VoIP providers that use a gateway router.  The latest version of iWar can also act as a VoIP client in IAX2 mode (it has some other cool features as well that ToneLoc and THC-Scan don't have).

WarVOX (http://warvox.org/) is another option.  You do not need any telephony hardware for WarVOX, but it only runs under linux and uses IAX.  Since most providers are SIP-based these days, you'll need to setup an Asterisk server so you can use the IAX protocol.

I know there are new versions of iWar and WarVOX in the works, but I'm not sure if they will support SIP-based providers.

Offline N01zii

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 21st Century Phreakin'
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 08:10:21 PM »
Thanks for all of the links and such guys, you've helped a ton. I'll be trying to wardial in the next few days, I'll just need to get a one like to two lines splitter for my phone line, so I can wardial and still use my home phones haha.

Also, as for the target red phones, here's my story:

Called my target, said I was from Ameritech, and that we were having some problems with our phone databases, because they were damaged in Superstorm Sandy. (The Target people are idiots, they won't know any better) They give me the phone number of another target store, but not before giving me their store number. The second store transfers me to this internal help line, which I found to be extremely interesting. It said things like "Enter your Employee ID" and a few other internal forms of identification for Target to continue. I just kept pressing 0 and eventually got an operator. From there, I gave him the store number and such and eventually social engineered him into sending me the list. The only problem? He said he'd have to email it, it was too large to read over the phone. The other problem? I don't have an @att.net email address. This all happened a few days ago, so I'll be calling back after finding some way to get an att.net email address, telling him that I'm extremely sorry it took so long for me to call back, the company was closed for christmas vacation. Hopefully this will allow me to get a list of every single extension for that target store, and if I'm lucky it will be able to be applied at other target stores. If I can get the broadcast number extension, or any other fun internal departments or interesting extensions, I'll make sure to post them.

If you have any questions about how I social engineered this guy, or want any of these internal help line numbers or anything like that, just quote me or PM me or something, and if enough people want them I'll just make a topic haha.