Author Topic: Episode #2 - Social Engineering  (Read 10538 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Episode #2 - Social Engineering
« on: March 25, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »
This episode of PLA Radio will introduce you to the fine art of lying, also known as social engineering. Learn how to infiltrate various businesses and trick them out of information, all with a simple phone call. This program is approximately 17.5 minutes long and the full version is about 17 megs. Click here to listen to it. You can download the smaller version instead, by clicking here. It's recorded at 32kbps and is only 4 megs. Many thanks to this webpage which we downloaded the Dateline NBC theme song from. And I didn't really threaten to kill that one phone company lady - I dropped in that bit of audio later. I swear, okay??

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
Re: Episode #2 - Social Engineering
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »
Comments from the old system:

02/28/06 - branfrog from seattle: Love the brute force SE attempts!...hahaha hacking a Gibson, I am literally rolling around on the floor all crazy-like as I laugh.!!!

02/04/06 - justin but who really cares from hell or i mean tx: dude i loved it your still just a funny cant wait for more

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 06:55:56 AM »
The "I'll kill you" is always a tough line that's really funny if it's done right, but can be creepy.  I think RBCP's delivery would imply that it's a ridiculous joke.  I leave it out of my calls, I'm just an ameteur!

The Pizza Pranks stripper call is a great example of it being hilarious... instead of saying 'bye: "I'll kill you!"

Kerpal: "That's it you are going to die now.  -Just kidding!"

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:05:34 AM by ghostman »

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 07:23:29 AM »
In prank calls, non-sequiturs like that are the best. Throwing in an "I'll kill you" with an inflection of anything other than anger just sounds funny.

BTW, I really liked Mark Knopfler's catchphrases, "I'll carve my initials in him" and "please try to pay attention!"

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 11:12:35 AM »
I have a confession about the "I'll kill you" line...I didn't really say that to her.  I started to, but I decided against it before I got the words out.  I was calling that company direct from my phone line and it was a toll-free number.  It just seemed like a bad idea to be making death threats to her.  So after she hung up, I quickly did that line and then hung up myself.  Then I edited it to appear in the conversation.

I'm not normally a fan of constructing fake prank calls.  And the guilt has just been eating me alive lately, especially now that this conversation has been brought up.  Please forgive me!

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »
No, I realized it was edited... that is, once you said it was at the beginning of this post + I heard it again.  I was trying to say even if it wasn't, a smart person would have known it was a joke.  A smart person...

Yeah Panic "Whurr izzy I'll carve my initials in 'im!.... *wheeze*"

One I like to use is "I'll fuck your face" or just "fuck your face" Say it slow, with a lot of inflection. 

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 04:25:22 PM »
Heh, I forgot that I admitted to faking that line before.  I'm just too honest.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:36:27 PM »
Yeah, i guess its good to stay away from death threats, and Especially those walmart bomb threats!  >:( 
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 12:18:44 PM »
When I was in grade school someone called in to all the local radio stations and social-engineered a snow day for our school. They made the announcement on the air that the school's boiler had broken down. We all heard it over the breakfast table, and my brother and I got all excited about a day spent watching cartoons and playing outside in the snow.

Then about an hour later, the radio station announced an update which said that listing our school on the cancellation roll had been a mistake. Our school really was open that day, so my mom made us hurry up and get ready, then she drove us to school. We were pissed.

When we got there, only about 25% of the students had even shown up. Our first period classes were pre-empted for an asinine discussion led by our teachers, a flimsy investigation of who'd called in the day off and telling all of us to snitch if we knew anything. The principal even made the rounds to all the classes, raking us over the coals and then giving a lecture about how bad it was to play such pranks. After that, we had pretty much a blow-off day. Few of our classes were even conducted normally. Mostly we just sat and had class discussions about various topics.

As far as I remember, they never even discovered who it was that called in the snow day. I don't know if it was a student or a teacher or what, but it was apparently somebody close to the principal's office, because they knew exactly what to say to all the radio stations to get it announced. Whomever it was, he/she was a major hero in the eyes of most of the students.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:24:16 PM by Colonel Panic »

z09

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 06:35:26 PM »
When I was in grade school

Our first period classes

You had periods in grade school?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 06:38:01 PM by z09 »

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 08:07:18 AM »
Yeah. The school day was divided into multiple time slots, each one allotted to a particular subject, like an hour and a half per class I think. There was no bell, and we didn't change rooms. All our classes were taught in the same room. The teacher would say, for instance, "OK I want everybody to put away your math books now, it's time to start on History..." And that would be the start of a new "period."

For some classes we'd have a different teacher come in to teach it, like Science and Religion I remember (it was a Catholic school).

When I got into the "Jr. high" years, 6th through 8th grade, we actually did change rooms for certain subjects. Science was one of those, because they had a dedicated science room with all these cool science toys and disgusting animal specimens in jars of formaldehyde. There was also an English/reading room with lots of books of literature, and a Social Studies room with a ton of old National Geographic magazines, which we used to like to look at cuz they had funny pictures of African tribeswomen with their boobs hanging out.

z09

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 10:04:48 AM »
@RBCP who did that creepy saw voice for the Narrator?

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »
@RBCP who did that creepy saw voice for the Narrator?

Thats me.