Author Topic: Stolen credit card number  (Read 13903 times)

Offline Andy Hedgehog

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-6
Stolen credit card number
« on: October 03, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
Okay, I was ust wondering, How much potential trouble could I get into for using a stolen credit card number online, I have no arrests (so far) and live in the state of Texas, how much jail time/fines could I get if I'm caught? (I havent used the number so far, and want to know the risk I'm taking here)

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Re: Stolen credit card number
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:54:51 PM »
Probably nothing, I read in Frank Abagnale's book "Stealing your Life" that nobody wants to spend the money to catch low-lives who steal credit card numbers and shit. In fact I think he said that the FBI has a standing order not to pursue people who rip off under a certain dollar amount, like 2000 or something like that.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:07:04 AM »
What about when it's the local police department's new "computer crime" guy who's really anxious to bust someone in their small town?  It's not that unlikely that someone could put time and effort into tracking down someone who just stole a few hundred dollars.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 10:33:40 AM »
If they were stupid enough to let their card # get stolen, they deserve to have a few extra purchases made. I'm sure the government would agree.

Go wild.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:31:14 PM by MattGSX »

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »
They'll never catch you. They won't make any attempt. It's totally worth it. The risk is small. You have so much to gain.
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 04:16:19 PM »
My local book store didn't have a copy of the criminal code of Canada available (so much for the 'ignorance of the law' argument) and the online one annoys me, but my roughly ten year old copy says that you could get ten years for it. They were really harsh with a lot of fucked up things back then, I hope they didn't actually enforce most of it.

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Dark_Star_Academy

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-9
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »
don't order shit online. where you gonna have it shipped, ur house? Goto walmart, buy a ps3 and use the self checkout. sell it on ebay if ya want the cash.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
don't order shit online. where you gonna have it shipped, ur house? Goto walmart, buy a ps3 and use the self checkout. sell it on ebay if ya want the cash.

That'd be a great idea if self checkout lanes would allow you to just enter in a number without needing the actual card.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 12:21:16 PM »
A friend of mine said that years ago her mom used to order chinese food with stolen numbers, do restaurants take numbers over the phone ever?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 12:31:22 PM »
A friend of mine said that years ago her mom used to order chinese food with stolen numbers, do restaurants take numbers over the phone ever?

I tried it with pizza once and they said that even though they would take the number over the phone, the delivery driver would still need to see the card when he arrived.

Offline gangals

• Merp?
  • PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-31
  • ummm cacti
    • http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1879/bagmanonfire4pb.jpg
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 12:49:53 PM »
I tried it with pizza once and they said that even though they would take the number over the phone, the delivery driver would still need to see the card when he arrived.

Same, but when the pizza arrives, the delivery person has never asked for it, nor do they have a slip that says what number supposed to be and even if they did, you could make a non-working replica of the card.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 01:07:12 PM »
I never use cash when I order something. I can think of one time when the driver wanted to see my card, and that's because he entered in the numbers incorrectly the first couple times and thought I had just made one up.

Your best bet is to get the card # onto something like a hotel keycard and THEN go use it at a self check-out.

Or, you can just sell the # to some Nigerian scammers. Granted, they're going to pay you in fake money orders, but hey. It's the thought that counts, right?

Offline cricket

• Bandito
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-4
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »
Something that you could do with stolen numbers is sell stuff to yourself on e-bay.
Or lose money to yourself in an online poker room.
But you have to be careful that the logs on the sites don't show the same I.P. for the buyer\seller or winner\loser. So do it from 2 different computers. preferably one would be behind a NAT gateway like at a coffee shop.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 03:12:06 PM »
Or lose money to yourself in an online poker room.

That's called dumping and they watch pretty closely for that.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »
I think selling credit card numbers could be the safest way to profit from them.