Author Topic: Geocaching Cactus  (Read 5950 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Geocaching Cactus
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
I planted a new Geocache yesterday and named it the Telephone Cache.  Inside I put 4 cellular phones, an old AT&T calling card, an SBC pay phone insert, an I Love Geocaching picture in a telephone picture frame, a DSL phone line filter, a U.S. Cellular keychain, lots of old phone company pins, a Phone Search Central keychain and ink pen, a U.S. West tattoo, some Phone Losers stickers and buttons, a Motorola keychain, and a few Geocaching buttons.

I tried to make the log book look like a phone book.

And here's a picture of it all packed in the container with a PLA sticker on the side of it.

I guess some of you might not know what Geocaching is.  People hide containers of weird crap all over the world and post their GPS coordinates on www.geocaching.com for other people to find.  You've probably got at least a few caches hidden within a mile of your house.  It's a free activity and you don't actually need a GPS device to find the caches, though it does make it a lot easier.  Go to www.geocaching.com, put in your zip code and you'll find some that are around you.

I searched their site for telephone-related caches and there were none.  There were caches with the name telephone in them because they might be hidden near a telephone pole or something, but none of them were actually telephone themed caches.  So I made one, hid it in the woods near my house and here it is.  Less than an hour after it was posted to the site, some guy went out into the woods to find it in the dark, just so he could be the first one to find it.  He took a phone loser sticker.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 11:24:03 AM »
I haven't gotten my free sample cactus yet so I can send out my cactus travelbug.  It'll probably be here this week though.

Altalp and I were discussing evil things we could do to existing caches the other day.  One of the important things about Geocaching is that you don't let non-geocachers see you finding or hiding containers because they could go and steal it once you leave since they don't know what Geocaching is.  Some of these containers are hidden in crowded places, like parks, lakes or parking lots. 

So I thought it'd be funny to rig up an airhorn to go off as they opened the cache.  Both to scare the hell out of the Geocacher and to make nearby people stare at them.  Only problem is that airhorns are $10 on Ebay and they don't last very long.  So altalp comes up with the idea of using a smoke detector.  That'd be a lot easier to rig up to a switch in a box and would last a really long time.  And smoke detectors are loud, but not so loud they'd cause hearing damage to the opener.  So I'm thinking about doing that to a cache somewhere in a public place just so I can read the logs of people who either think it's hilarious or are pissed off by it.

Anyone have any good ideas for evil Geocaching pranks?  Or bad ideas even?

Offline SpaceBison

• Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 01:09:51 PM »
I haven't gotten my free sample cactus yet so I can send out my cactus travelbug.  It'll probably be here this week though.

Altalp and I were discussing evil things we could do to existing caches the other day.  One of the important things about Geocaching is that you don't let non-geocachers see you finding or hiding containers because they could go and steal it once you leave since they don't know what Geocaching is.  Some of these containers are hidden in crowded places, like parks, lakes or parking lots. 

So I thought it'd be funny to rig up an airhorn to go off as they opened the cache.  Both to scare the hell out of the Geocacher and to make nearby people stare at them.  Only problem is that airhorns are $10 on Ebay and they don't last very long.  So altalp comes up with the idea of using a smoke detector.  That'd be a lot easier to rig up to a switch in a box and would last a really long time.  And smoke detectors are loud, but not so loud they'd cause hearing damage to the opener.  So I'm thinking about doing that to a cache somewhere in a public place just so I can read the logs of people who either think it's hilarious or are pissed off by it.

poop?

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »
poop?

...or a candy bar half melted in a microwave to resemble poop?

Something stinky, but harmless, like garlic.

Hey this gives me an idea for another prank...

You know those air fresheners with the dispenser which sprays nice smelling chemicals every x minutes? I wonder what else you could put in it...

Not for this purpose, just thinking out loud.

Offline SpaceBison

• PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 04:21:10 PM »

poop?
I'm thinking that might not work given the success of the poop purse.

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »
poop?

...or a candy bar half melted in a microwave to resemble poop?

Something stinky, but harmless, like garlic.

Hey this gives me an idea for another prank...

You know those air fresheners with the dispenser which sprays nice smelling chemicals every x minutes? I wonder what else you could put in it...

Not for this purpose, just thinking out loud.

Nitric acid.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »

Get one of these:

[picture taken with a hidden camera = suckish quality]

My mom got one for me. It's some kind of alarm that activates when the small right piece is moved away from the bigger left piece.

But what makes it perfect is that it was only like $3 and it lets out the most horrible screech you could imagine. Plus, the screech changes and gets worse and worse the longer the two pieces are apart.

I don't think it's a loud as a smoke detector, though. But it would save you the trouble of haxoring a smoke detector, it's cheaper, and it could probably be found at a nearby prank store.

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »
a hand grenade with the pin wired to the lid of the box

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »
That company never sent me my cactus.  What jerks.  Maybe they took a look at the website and decided I was full of shit.  Guess I'll have to find something else as a travelbug.

Offline SloFuze

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +8/-16
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »

Something like the "rattlesnake egg" prank would be funny. Twist something around in a rubberband
and when they open it, it spins. Made like this....

Leave instructions to reset it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:46:44 AM by SloFuze »

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »
fill the cache with cocaine and a cell phone, when it is opened the phone calls the cops and plays an automated message and sends gps coordinates.

Offline SloFuze

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +8/-16
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »

Offline Jo Nathen

• [Almost a 100 count poster]
  • PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-45
  • Messing around with skype and my job has a pbx.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »
I messed around with my Garmin GPS, and thought this was related when I first got it...but nevermind.....haha.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
But what makes it perfect is that it was only like $3 and it lets out the most horrible screech you could imagine. Plus, the screech changes and gets worse and worse the longer the two pieces are apart.

I purchased one at Fred Meyer today, just because you said to.  Mine was $9.99 but it's pretty much the exact same thing.  I'll put it in a Geocache soon and hopefully something hilarious will happen in the logs.

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »
Here is that alarm for only $1.91 with free shipping. Although from my experience with DX it will take nearly a month to arrive.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.826
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin