Author Topic: Pranknet/Dex/Skype Calls????!  (Read 41608 times)

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
Re: Pranknet/Dex/Skype Calls????!
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »
doubtful. more likely there's an ongoing investigation and the FBI is not going to compromise that by disclosing information about it.

That's way less likely. If they have specific incidents they're investigating, how much more information can they really get? What are they waiting for? The calls don't involve breaking stuff anymore so it's not like they're gathering info on new crimes.

It's not hard for me to believe the quoted FBI guy. A bunch of guys making prank calls in a chat room isn't a criminal organization and the crime of tricking someone into sipping pee isn't exactly worth mobilizing the A-Team.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »
That's way less likely. If they have specific incidents they're investigating, how much more information can they really get? What are they waiting for? The calls don't involve breaking stuff anymore so it's not like they're gathering info on new crimes.

It's not hard for me to believe the quoted FBI guy. A bunch of guys making prank calls in a chat room isn't a criminal organization and the crime of tricking someone into sipping pee isn't exactly worth mobilizing the A-Team.

I'm not going to pretend to know what the FBI is up to and I think it'll be hilarious if he gets busted and even more hilarious if he doesn't get busted, but Dex did a little more than just make people taste pee.  He cost the U.S. $1,000,000 at the very least.  Those aren't harmless prank calls.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »
He cost the U.S. $1,000,000 at the very least.  Those aren't harmless prank calls.

Very much this. There's a big difference between calling hotel patrons and making them stomp angrily down to the front because the neighbors said they were fucking a goat and having them set off the sprinkler system/fire extinguisher and the drive through the front window with a truck.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline RushPwnsX

• Shitty Bassist
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +18/-31
  • 1337 13V3L: +9999/-1
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2009, 11:16:51 PM »
He cost the U.S. $1,000,000 at the very least.  Those aren't harmless prank calls.
Very much this. There's a big difference between calling hotel patrons and making them stomp angrily down to the front because the neighbors said they were fucking a goat and having them set off the sprinkler system/fire extinguisher and the drive through the front window with a truck.
No there isn't.

No. I'm just fucking with you.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:20:55 PM by RushPwnsX »
Atonal apples.

Offline ParkerChase

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-3
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2009, 02:09:10 AM »
They actually were pretty funny......well unless it was my mom who had to pay the $1200 hotel bill for breaking windows and throwing a television out the window.
-----------------

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2009, 08:33:08 AM »
It's not hard for me to believe the quoted FBI guy.

i'm not saying the FBI guy didn't say that, i'm saying he said it to avoid giving out any info. where i work, we occasionally have FBI involved when fraud occurs. we are always instructed to play dumb when media or customers ask us about on-going investigations.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2009, 09:08:04 AM »
I don't understand why the FBI guy said that Dex didn't break any federal laws. Isn't pretexting itself a federal offense?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2009, 10:58:52 AM »
Isn't pretexting itself a federal offense?

Certain types of pretexting to phone companies and banks is illegal, which is to protect privacy and prevent identity theft.  But calling up a hotel and telling them random insane things shouldn't be illegal at all.  Aside from a few general "phone harassment" laws, I guess.  But I'm not sure how state and federal laws apply to Canadians.  He might completely get away with this because of that.  Not that I know anything about law, but it seems like he could.

Offline ParkerChase

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-3
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2009, 03:46:41 AM »
The Beyluxe PrankNET chat room has been pretty dead lately.
My guess is that Dex is gonna lay low for a while. I am sure that by now his mom has figured out what is going on and she does not want her little darling to go jail. Looks like Dex wanted his 15 minutes of fame and he got more than he bargained for. I always knew he was never gonna make it onto the Oprah show. Some people hate Dex and want him to go to "pound it in the ass prison" while others feel sorry for him. I am sure that if I were him, I would be feeling the pressure. The Smoking Gun Article just might be the kung fu death blow for PrankNET. For all those who want Dex punished, just think, he already is being punished. Can you imagine what it would be like to not want to leave your small apartment because there might be some aggressive reporters  waiting to pounce on you or even some shit kicking Redneck with a shotgun ..... and you told the crazy Redneck that they were a little "faggot pussy".  If he goes outside, he might even be served by a process server with a civil action lawsuit.  Yes, those big hotel chains do have legal departments. It sucks to be "Dex".

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2009, 04:08:57 AM »
LET ME BREAK OUT THE WORLD'S SMALLEST VIOLIN TO PLAY BOO HOO HOO IN C MINOR!

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2009, 04:46:22 AM »
I'm not going to pretend to know what the FBI is up to and I think it'll be hilarious if he gets busted and even more hilarious if he doesn't get busted, but Dex did a little more than just make people taste pee.  He cost the U.S. $1,000,000 at the very least.  Those aren't harmless prank calls.

I'm not saying they're harmless or that they're not illegal. I just feel like it's basically petty vandalism which doesn't normally interest the FBI.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2009, 06:55:30 AM »
I'm not saying they're harmless or that they're not illegal. I just feel like it's basically petty vandalism which doesn't normally interest the FBI.

Do you really think Dex's calls are petty vandalism?  His calls are kind of the exact opposite of that.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »

Do you really think Dex's calls are petty vandalism?  His calls are kind of the exact opposite of that.

Dex has done a lot less damage than he thought he did. A while back when I was on the chat room, they were worried that the sprinkler calls were doing millions in damage. Then they somehow guessed around 250,000, and somebody mentioned that they shouldn't do more than that to the same place.

Now Smoking Gun is saying that the sprinklers only caused $50,000. Still a lot, but far less than PrankNET suspected.

Also, a truck driver rams through the door and only causes $1000? Really?

While I can see it being more than petty vandalism, that's probably no more than the average lawsuit those hotels have to deal with a least once a year.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2009, 04:35:11 AM »

I think the resulting damage is the same, though. Hotel rooms get trashed sometimes. Bad / drunk drivers hit storefronts all the time. People pull fire alarms. It's all minor stuff, undeserving of the FBIs attention.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2009, 11:52:30 PM »

I think the resulting damage is the same, though. Hotel rooms get trashed sometimes. Bad / drunk drivers hit storefronts all the time. People pull fire alarms. It's all minor stuff, undeserving of the FBIs attention.

So according to your logic:

It's absolutely illegal to steal a dollar. But it's a minor crime so it shouldn't be prosecuted even if one person orchestrates the stealing of thousands of individual dollars as each dollar taken wasn't enough to warrent investigation.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt